12 Replies Latest reply on Feb 16, 2012 12:21 PM by RjL190365

Intel releases Core i7-3820 processor

Crist OC/PC Level 2

Intel i7-3820 is built on Sandy Bridge-E core, a variation of Sandy Bridge core that sports large 10 MB or greater L3 cache, and integrated quad-channel memory controller. The chip has 4 CPU cores, clocked at 3.6 GHz, and 10 MB of last level cache. The 3820 supports most of Sandy Bridge features, including Turbo Boost, that can bump core frequency up to 3.9 GHz when necessary, and Hyper-Threading technology, which doubles the number of threads, processed by the CPU at the same time. The i7-3820 doesn't support business-oriented technologies, such as Trusted Execution. The CPU has 130 Watt Thermal Design Power. Intel i7-3820 is priced at $294, which is considerably lower than the prices of Core i7-3930K and Core i7-3960X Sandy Bridge-E microprocessors.

So what will you buy: I72700 OR I73820????

• 1. Re: Intel releases Core i7-3820 processor
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Neither. One is handicapped by the platform (2700) due to the missing PCIe lanes, the other by the lack of speed and overclockability. Better the unlocked version.

• 2. Re: Intel releases Core i7-3820 processor
            Crist OC/PC Level 2

Lack of Speed????

But don´t you think that with x79 big Socket 2011 will be much more easy to cooling???

By my own experience the multiplier is not important. Look @ the i7920 (Multi:20 x 220= 4.4ghz 1.4V)

I guess this processor will rise 5GHZ on air, 5.3 on water.

• 3. Re: Intel releases Core i7-3820 processor
              Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It lacks the unlocked option so the maximum speed is 3.9 GHz

No multiplier speed option. No clock adjustment option.

Message was edited by: Bill Gehrke

Sorry I was wrong.

"Core i7-3820 Overclocking

Although a few paragraphs earlier we complained about the limitations for the Core i7-3820 clock frequency multiplier increase, which can be set at 43x maximum, the new clocking algorithm for CPU, bus and controller frequencies implemented in the LGA 2011 platform may, in fact, help. Due to the use of an additional co-multiplier for the CPU frequency, the base BCLK frequency may be set not only to 100, but also to 125 or 166 MHz (give or take a few megahertz) without any stability issues. However, not all processors will work with the 166 MHz BCLK, the 125 MHz setting is a 100%-operational option, which will make it possible to successfully overclock Core i7-3820, even though it doesn’t belong to the overclocker CPU series.  In other words, the maximum Core i7-3820 frequency you can reach during overclocking by raising the processor clock multiplier at the default BCLK frequency will be only 4.3 GHz"

Sounds very interesting

• 4. Re: Intel releases Core i7-3820 processor
                RjL190365 Level 4

Neither. The 2700K, in addition to the "limited" platform (only 16 available PCI-e lanes off of the CPU plus whatever number of open PCI-e lanes off of the PCH that are not eaten up by onboard devices), is a poorer bang for the buck than the older 2600K. The 3820, like all current LGA 2011 CPUs, hits an overclocking brick wall of around 4.7GHz with air cooling (even after raising the BCLK from the default 100MHz to 125MHz), and an overclock to even 4.8GHz often requires expensive water cooling (not just a self-contained liquid-cooling kit). As a result, the 3820 is not sufficiently faster than a 2600K or 2700K to justify the $100 to $150 additional cost of the CPU/motherboard combo (since the least expensive worthwhile X79 mobo costs $100 to $150 more than a good Z68 mobo).

By the way, the $285 cost of a 3820 is per unit in bulk quantities of 1000 or more. Boxed CPUs will likely cost more (and sometimes significantly more) than the bulk price.

• 5. Re: Intel releases Core i7-3820 processor
                  Crist OC/PC Level 2

Bill is the first time I hear about a bus limitation...Multiplier is locked @ 36. Whith that multi you can do over 5ghz...

• 6. Re: Intel releases Core i7-3820 processor
                    RjL190365 Level 4

Actually, Cristobal, the 3820 is limited-unlocked, or "partially unlocked": The multiplier can be set up to 43x.

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Intel releases Core i7-3820 processor
                      Crist OC/PC Level 2

"The 3820, like all current LGA 2011 CPUs, hits an overclocking brick wall of around 4.7GHz with air cooling"

What are you talking about?? Have you try this your selft? In which  x79 MB? And Which air cooling???

"(even after raising the BCLK from the default 100MHz to 125MHz)"

My guess is BCLK will be manual and the ideal is to use the tasted 100MHZOriginal, 125MHz, 133MHz and 166Mhz. as it is for the 3930.

"As a result, the 3820 is not sufficiently faster than a 2600K or 2700K to justify the $100 to $150 additional cost of the CPU/motherboard combo (since the least expensive worthwhile X79 mobo costs $100 to $150 more than a good Z68 mobo)."

The 3820 @ 4.8 ghz, 10MB Cache, 64gb ram, 4chanell DDR3. I guess will do better tham 2700k.

That is my opinion...

• 8. Re: Intel releases Core i7-3820 processor
                        RjL190365 Level 4

I have read online "laboratory" reviews on the 3820 itself, and also of the 3960X. They could only get the CPUs stable to just above 4.6GHz (125 x 37). Even 125 x 38 (4.75GHz) resulted in repeated crashes and lock-ups. Though it was admitted that pre-production CPUs were used.

And systems with 64GB of RAM have not been shown to perform any better than otherwise identical systems with 32GB of RAM in CS5.5.

And my opinion of the LGA 2011 quad-cores versus the LGA 1155 CPUs are based on performance at their maximum stable overclocks, not just stock speeds. With 32GB of RAM via four 8GB modules, the system based on an i7-3820 would have cost about 10 percent more than an otherwise identically equipped system with an i7-2600K, but does not perform anywhere close to 10 percent faster (and sometimes actually performs slower than the 2600K) with most programs and apps.

• 9. Re: Intel releases Core i7-3820 processor
                          Crist OC/PC Level 2

Well I got the i73930 @ 4.8 with  Asus "JJ" Laboratory O.C.  Xtremenly quiet. May manual and really cool 30¤ to 63¤ Load100% Using a Corsair h100. Them by my self I rise 5.1 ghz With the same pc But using none auto config in the bios An all the fans @ 100%. Yes it make Noise...

The Interesting her is that what must overheat is the MB, This is easy to hand whit a good Case.

But Yes I do agree whith you, the price for the x79 is to crazy high. but will go down very soon and the future will be PCI-E 3.0 so Right know is somthing to put in account.

• 10. Re: Intel releases Core i7-3820 processor
                            Crist OC/PC Level 2

I used to believe that gpu whas not so important on PP until Bill and Harm pruved I was wrong. So will be importan to have a mobo with GPU w PCI-E 3.0, Quad Chanel, Over 4.6ghz And Why the 64 gb of ram: Ram Cache.

• 11. Re: Intel releases Core i7-3820 processor
                              Harm Millaard Level 7

Randall,

Cristobal hit the nail on the head with his RAM cache. I also believe the benefit of 64 GB over 32 GB is almost negligent, but if you allocate 24 or even 32 GB to RAM cache, then it makes a difference in performance. And with current day prices of RAM, it makes sense to go for 64 GB.

1 person found this helpful
                              • 12. Re: Intel releases Core i7-3820 processor
                                RjL190365 Level 4

True. But not everyone even has access to a RAM caching program to begin with - and of those who can afford to pay the premium, many of them still could not configure it correctly because some of them have lousy UIs.