4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 10, 2012 5:55 PM by pwillener

Just solved my IE & Firefox Flash Player install problem on my own, here's how.

megacles Level 1

I am running Windows 7 32-bit and have Internet Explorer 8, Firefox and Google Chrome installed.  (Actually Safari too, I don't use it very often but haven't noticed any problem with Flash.)

Basically, I had Flash working in Google Chrome (as it comes pre-installed), but it was not working in Firefox or IE

Flash would just not install for Firefox or IE no matter what I did.  It would fail part way through installation and return errors such as:

• "Adobe Flash Player 11 : Error: general installation error" at 52% of the way through on Firefox;
      • "The installation encountered errors: A required file (C:\Windows\system32\Macromed\Flash\FlashUtil11e_ActiveX.exe:3) could not be installed. ..." on Internet Explorer 8.

I tried following all the instructions on Adobe.com, downloaded the uninstall tools, downloaded the full installers, but I would always get the installation process hanging up with these weird, unspecific errors.

Finally I got to the bottom of this troubleshooting page:

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/191/tn_19166.html#main_Error_messages_sometimes_displayed_during_ Flash_Player_installation

This page and some of the forum posts I'd read on Adobe.com suggested checking what's going on in the following folder(s):

•   C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Flash folder for a 32-bit machine
      •   C:\WINDOWS\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash folder for a 64-bit machine

I navigated to the Macromed folder on my 32bit PC and was surprised to discover that the Flash folder had been replaced by a file of the same name!

I deleted the file at once and tried running the IE installer again.  This time it succeeded!

I tried running the Firefox installer and it succeeded too!  The 'installation complete' message was a joyous sight. 

So check your folders folks!