3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 15, 2012 3:04 PM by Peter Spier

TOC - one chapter heading, multiple page headings

nosfan1019

Any one know how to automate categories with in a ToC?  I'm trying to get ...

cars
      item pg1
      item pg2
      item pg3
      trucks
      item pg4
      item pg5
      item pg6
      item pg7 ...

Right now each page has "Cars(or trunks) | item" in it.  I'm getting ...

cars
      item pg1
      cars
      item pg2
      cars
      item pg3
      trucks
      item pg4
      trucks
      item pg5
      trucks
      item pg6
      trucks
      item pg7 ...

• 1. Re: TOC - one chapter heading, multiple page headings
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Can you show us a couple of pages where these things appear? Use the camera icon on the Web page to embed a screen capture, like this:

CameraIcon.png

I suspect though, that the simple answer is that your cars and trucks tags appear on each page, and you've set the TOC to find their paragraph style. Is each category in an isolated section, or are they spread around and mixed together? If they're in sections, you can add a "category tag" on the first page of each section, just a frame (and set it to non-printing and make the type big and red so you see it using some unique paragraph style not used elsewhere) with the exact text you want to appear in the TOC for each category, then include that style in the TOC.

• 2. Re: TOC - one chapter heading, multiple page headings
            nosfan1019 Level 1

Thats exactly the case Peter.  I'm running everything through data merge though, so I don't know how to specify where the first instance of say "trucks" appears.  Thats really the problem.

The categories are in an isolated section fortunately "Cateogry Name". 

Screen Shot 2012-02-15 at 1.06.06 PM.png

• 3. Re: TOC - one chapter heading, multiple page headings
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

OK, but are the products sorted? Are all Trucks together and all Cars together (even if spanning multiple pages)? As long as they aren't mixed in together you can manually add the category tags after the merge.

If they're all mixed together, I think you need to use an Index, rather than a TOC.