6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 12, 2013 7:08 PM by Linguamation

How do I change position of video floating window in IDCS5 PDF export?

John R. Hartman Level 1

I have created an interactive document in InDesign CS5 (for Mac) that includes some movies. The page size is 1280 x 800 and the H264.mov files are 960 x 540 and 800x600. I place the movie in the center of the page at 100% size (without resizing either the movie object or the frame). The poster is set to None to keep it blank. In the PDF options, the Play Video in Floating Window box is checked, with the size set to 1x and the Position is set to Center by default but it is grayed out, with no option to change it.

When I export the document to PDF (Interactive) with both View and Layout set to Default and Buttons and Media set to Include All, the resulting PDF file opens the movie window in the upper right corner of the PDF document window. It does this whether viewing in Acrobat X Pro (10.1.2) or Acrobat Reader (9.5.0). I've tried opening the file on other computers and have the same issue. I've also created the same document in IDCS5.5 with the same outcome.

I'd like the movie to open in the center of the PDF document window. I've made other documents where it does this, but for the life of me can't figure out what I'm doing differently to cause the floating movie window to open in the upper right corner of the PDF document.

Any insight you could provide would be very helpful.

Thanks,

John

PDF.jpg

• 1. Re: How do I change position of video floating window in IDCS5 PDF export?
          Rik Ramsay Level 4

In the PDF options, the Play Video in Floating Window box is checked, with the size set to 1x and the Position is set to Center by default but it is grayed out, with no option to change it.

If you have placed the video in InDesign in it's own frame, should you not leave this box unchecked? That PDF control will override your InD layout.

• 2. Re: How do I change position of video floating window in IDCS5 PDF export?
            Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Hi, John,

I'm using InDesign CS5.5. You say you're using InDesign CS5.

I tried to replicate your situation by setting up a file the same way you did (thanks for being so thorough about your settings!)

I placed it into InDesign CS5.5 and exported it with Centered selected. When it opened in Acrobat X, it opened centered. That suggests to me that this may have been a bug which was fixed in InDesign CS5.5

Here's how my screen looked:

FloatMovie.jpg

• 3. Re: How do I change position of video floating window in IDCS5 PDF export?
              Rik Ramsay Level 4

I ran a test there also using CS5.5 and I was actually able to replicate what you were seeing. Once I clicked the video, it moved away from where I placed it. Turning off those PDF options as I mentioned in my first post corrected it for me.

Edit:// Sorry, I meant to say that I could replicate the video 'moving' issue, however it did go to the center of the screen for me. I placed my movie in different areas of the page and with the PDF options ON, it always moved to the screen center. If I turned them OFF, the video stayed where I placed it.

• 4. Re: How do I change position of video floating window in IDCS5 PDF export?
                John R. Hartman Level 1

Thanks for your reply, Steve. I, too, believe there is a bug, but it's not in InDesign CS5, as I mentioned in my post, I was able to replicate the problem by opening the file in CS5.5 and exporting it to an interactive PDF. The movie again opens in the upper right corner.

However, if I create a NEW page in the document and place the same movie. it opens in the PDF reader centered in the page. I guess I could recreate the document if this is the only fix, but I thought that I may be doing something wrong, which apparently is not the case.

"Computers often do what you want them to, but they ALWAYS do what you tell them to."   —anonymous

"If you have placed the video in InDesign in it's own frame, should you not leave this box unchecked?"

Rik, I didn't actually place the movie into a new frame. What I meant to say was that once the movie was placed into the document, I did not resize it. I found that if I don't have the PDF viewer open the movie in a flaoting window, the movie quality suffers if the PDF viewer opens in a larger size than the original InDesign page size (which can happen depending on how the user's PDF viewer is configured). However, the movie plays and views perfectly if it is in a floating window.

jh

• 5. Re: How do I change position of video floating window in IDCS5 PDF export?
                  Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Of course, my test was on a new page in a new document, where there was no problem. So it must be a fairly subtle bug, and probably not easy to reproduce. Those kinds of bugs are very  hard to eradicate.

• 6. Re: How do I change position of video floating window in IDCS5 PDF export?
                    Linguamation

I'm having the same problem as Mr. Hartman, in InDesign CS6 with the crux being that *the option to center the floating video is grayed out*. I can't find anything about the placing or the document that changes this. The video always plays in the top right corner.

So the question is, why is the video position choice grayed out?