11 Replies Latest reply on Feb 17, 2012 2:38 PM by Mike Blaustein

Director best tool for interactive DVD?

ryanjohnsond Level 1

I've never used Director, but is it the Adobe tool I should use to make an interactive DVD?  I particularly need to make my animations have a control that allows the speaker of the presentation to loop the animation indefinitely until he wants to continue with his talk. pause, loop, start, stop. Those kind of controls. 

• 1. Re: Director best tool for interactive DVD?
          Mister MUX Level 2

Director is a great tool for creating interactive DVDs. Is this the best? not sure I can answer that. It can certainly handle what you have described. There is a bit of a learning curve when it comes to scripting, but if you have any programming experience it wont be too difficult. There are some prebuilt scripts (behaviors) but personally I have always preferred to "roll my own". The forums here offer great support from the community.

The only other potential downside is Director's somewhat dubious future. While Adobe appears to continue support, rumors of it's demise abound. From all appearances it does seem to be in it's twilight years.

• 2. Re: Director best tool for interactive DVD?
            ryanjohnsond Level 1

What's going to replace it or what is replacing it now?  We watch movies all the time, which is an interactive DVD, isn't it?  What do most major film studios use? 

• 3. Re: Director best tool for interactive DVD?
              Mister MUX Level 2

Applications built with Director requires the run time engine (browser plugin or projector-standalone exe) and a supported OS (Windows or Mac). In short, you need a computer to play back Director made applicaitons. DVD is simply the media that holds the director movie and extensions (Xtras), which could just as easily be stored on a CD, flash drive, local hard disk, network drive, etc.

Director movies (stored on DVD) can not be played on a DVD player. There are other software packages used to create those types of "Interactive DVDs".

So which type of "Interactive DVD" are you wanting to create?

• 4. Re: Director best tool for interactive DVD?
                ryanjohnsond Level 1

>> So which type of "Interactive DVD" are you wanting to create?  >>

My client will be giving lectures to a live audience and supporting it with visuals via a projector.  He asked me to make accompanying 3D animations, which he can loop, pause and start again.  He hardly knows anything about computers. so, I didn't want him to have to load a bunch of things.  Ideally having everything stored on one source, either on a DVD or copied with complete functionality to his HD in a folder, would be ideal.   My background is in 3D and webwork and Flash (not much Action Script though), And no Director experience.

• 5. Re: Director best tool for interactive DVD?
                  Mike Blaustein Level 4

Unless there is more to it than what you have described here, I am not seeing the "interactive" portion of this DVD.  If the only user interaction is to play or pause, then you don't need anything apart from a video file in any format that the computer can play.  If this is a PC, then Windows Media Player will play avi, mpg, wmv, and other formats, and llows you to play and pause and loop animations.

If you need to make the thing play on a television set with a DVD player (as opposed to a computer), then you would need to use a DVD authoring program, of which there are many.  But that is not what Director does.  Adobe Encore comes with Creative Suite and can author DVD-Video.

If you do not need to play on DVD-player, and you are sure that 100% of the client machines to run the program have Windows or Mac OS installed, then you could use Director.  Director is capable of playing just about any video format that the machine can play natively (and more via xtras), and you can make buttons for play/pause or whatever else you want.

• 6. Re: Director best tool for interactive DVD?
                    ryanjohnsond Level 1

>> Unless there is more to it than what you have described here, I am not seeing the "interactive" portion of this DVD.   >>

Good point. Forgot to mention that I wanted to have an animated splash screen with looping animation icons, that represent the same thing as chapters on DVD.   When he clicks on any of the icons on the splash screen, it jumps to that corresponding chapter and allows him to start, pause, and loop the animation.  Maybe it would be just like an embedded Flash Movie where it just loops each time it hits the end of it's own timeline. That would remove the need to create a "loop button".

• 7. Re: Director best tool for interactive DVD?
                      Mike Blaustein Level 4

In that case, Director would seem to do the job.  You can embed a flash player into Director to do exactly what you want.  Or of course, you could take Director out of the equasion and just do it all in Flash.  I suppose it depends on what you are confortable with.

• 8. Re: Director best tool for interactive DVD?
                        ryanjohnsond Level 1

Can director embed FLVs?  I'm making these very high rez, either at 1920x1080 or 2k.  FLVs seem to be give me the smallest file size, while preserving pretty good quality I can find.   But it still gets "crunchy" if you know what I mean...heavy jaggies sometimes.  That's why burning it to a DVD and allowing them to play like real movie might eliminate some of the frame skipping and crunching that goes on with Avis, and MPEG4s. Only QuickTime and FLVs seems to keep frame rates pretty well.  Thanks a lot for your help.

• 9. Re: Director best tool for interactive DVD?
                          Mike Blaustein Level 4

Director can embed just about any Flash content.  So if you have a swf that plays flv files (and there are many available on the internet or you can make your own in Flash), then you can use it in Director.  If you have the very latest version of Director (11.5), then it can natively play external flv files.  If you take that approach, plan on a little extra time to test and tweak it since the built in flv player is kind of flaky.  I would recommend making a player in Flash and importing that into Director

• 10. Re: Director best tool for interactive DVD?
                            ryanjohnsond Level 1

>>   I suppose it depends on what you are confortable with. >>

Isn't there a difference in feature rich play back options?  I remember you could set Director to do an install on your local HD, and all the functionality of the CD would work on the HD. 

• 11. Re: Director best tool for interactive DVD?
                              Mike Blaustein Level 4

Well, Director can certainly play more media types.  But you said you were using flvs.  So the other movies that Director can play that Flash can't are moot.

Director can copy things from the CD/DVD drive to the hard drive so they play better and Flash can't.  So if you plan on making an installer for this program, then you could do that in Director.  If you plan on just burning the program and its associated flv media to DVD and sending it to someone with instructions like "copy this to your hard drive and run the exe", then you can do it in Director or anything else and the differences will be negligable.

Based on what you have described it looks like Director can do what you need.  It may be overkill, but it is certainly more than capable of handling flv playback and some basic menu controls.