5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 15, 2012 8:47 PM by Islanders66

Rekink Issue / Trying to use PPro in a Professional setting

Sausagehead5 Level 1

The problem stated below really burned me try to conform a series of national spots, had to run to final cut to get the job done.

m trying to work out an offline-online workflow strategy with PPro55. I have ALEXA PR4444 LogC files and corresponding externally-converted "edit proxies" (PR LT w/LUT & TC burn). I am editing with the "proxies" and then want to swap the files out for the full-res PR4444 camera files. File names, TC and reel numbers all match between the two sets of files.

I have attempted to use Project Manager to create a "trimmed, offline" project and then relink the clips to the camera originals. When I do this, the timeline clips all start at the start-point of each file and not the correct in-point. I presume this is a bug. Anyone else tried this with success? The same method works perfectly in FCP 7. Also in PPro55, if I export a CMX 3600 EDL and then import and relink the EDL, it also works properly. Thoughts?

• 1. Re: Rekink Issue / Trying to use PPro in a Professional setting
          Sausagehead5 Level 1

I copied this post from someone else who was having the same issue, a workaround was suggested, But this has to be resolved properly for Premiere to be used as a spot conform box.

• 2. Re: Rekink Issue / Trying to use PPro in a Professional setting
            Wil Renczes Adobe Employee

I think the hole in the logic here is the word 'trimmed' - if the offline project is a trimmed version, then the expectation is that the media has been trimmed to match the duration of the cuts in the sequence (+ heads/tails overlap), so if you try then to relink to the original (untrimmed) footage, well, there's your discrepancy.  Just don't tell project manager to trim things down, I'd expect that to relink correctly.

Cheers

• 3. Re: Rekink Issue / Trying to use PPro in a Professional setting
              lasvideo Level 4

Wil, when I worked on Avid DS the workflow there fulfilled the expectation that a trimmed project could match back to just the timecode areas of the clips used.

On a large project (SD) I would digitize lost of sutff in low resolution. I would cut the sequence together. The I would duplicate the sequence and switch to high resolution. That way I only redigitized what was needed. And when I archived the project it was in effect was trimmed down.  At first when using PrP I had an expectation of a kind of similar process albeit with HD and files.

But I do follow your logic.

• 4. Re: Rekink Issue / Trying to use PPro in a Professional setting
                Sausagehead5 Level 1

Even if media duration is trimmed, the EDL,XML,OMF should still retain the proper in/out timecodes  for the clips in the timeline to ensure proper re-linking to final color corrected clips, otherwise we are hand trimming/eye matching something that should be an automatic re-link with out the extra step.

• 5. Re: Rekink Issue / Trying to use PPro in a Professional setting
                  Islanders66 Level 1

I had the similar problem using the Project Manager. First I was trying to save to a FAT32 formatted external drive to open up the project on a Mac. First the Project Manager had some kind of error saving all of the assets and files, it quit, so I tried the trimmed option in Project Manager. As I recall it was supposed to save 30 frames for handels and I only save the used clips. So when I go to open it on the Mac the audio is out of sync. I had used markers in both the video track clip and audio clip then trimmed and relinked the two and saved. So yes, it could be a bug. I was trying to open this on a 4.0 Pr on Mac.