Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

issues with the TOC and index

May 23, 2008 May 23, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am doing localization for Japan, so I got everything nice and proper in Japanese (topics, TOC and indexes), however, after compilation the TOC and indes are in a font that does not support Japanese characters.
Does anybody have any ideas how to solve this?
Thank you

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Deleted User
Thank you very much Pete, this was a part of the solution.
Actually, what I found out on a German forum for RoboHelp, is that one has to set the machine on the regional settings for the country for which the localisation is being done. I installed the support language pack previous to my problem and so I was able what I was translating in the topics. The problem appeared when I tried my first compilation. The topics were still in Japanese, as I translated them, however the TOC and the index were...

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Boggym and welcome to the RH community.

This sounds like you need to open your single source layout and click on the Advanced button in the first page. In there are two tabs that allow you to specify the font for the TOC and Index.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I already did that, and did not help.
All the content is OK, I can see it in Japanese, however the TOC and indes is illegible in any language.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I forgot to thank you for your quick answer Column McAndrew, sorry!
Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Boggym,

If this is HTML Help (.chm), are you compiling on a machine that is either running Japanese Windows or has the appropriate language files installed and the system default language set to Japanese? See this article:

http://helpware.net/FAR/far_faq.htm#JapComp

Pete

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much Pete, this was a part of the solution.
Actually, what I found out on a German forum for RoboHelp, is that one has to set the machine on the regional settings for the country for which the localisation is being done. I installed the support language pack previous to my problem and so I was able what I was translating in the topics. The problem appeared when I tried my first compilation. The topics were still in Japanese, as I translated them, however the TOC and the index were the only ones which were in a totally unknown writing style (not Japanese and not English and not any other language I know).
Right now as I changed the localisation of my system, it works.
So, I think this should be a first improvement for RoboHelp, right? They brag that they support 35 languages, however the support is not quite... complete, eh?
By the way, the error message keeps coming even after all those changes, however I do not care too much about it, as I get what I need.
Thank you again Pete for the solution and the fast answer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 24, 2008 May 24, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
I think that is more to do with how the Microsoft help compiler works than what RH generates.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp