4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 24, 2012 3:23 PM by voxL

AE CS5.5 Takes a long time to quit

voxL Level 1

AE takes 20 - 40 seconds to close on my computer (i7, 24 GB).  One might think that it had crashed, but it is just unresponsive.

I've tried closing the current project first, clearing the caches, and have even tried minimizing before closing to reduce its RAM footprint.

No luck w/any of those procedures.

Anyone else having this issue or know of a fix?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: AE CS5.5 Takes a long time to quit
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Probably nothing to fix because nothing is broken. Quite likely MP rendering taking a while to shut down the background processes or something. That could also include Warp Stabilizer for instance. In fact I see such long shutdown times regularly on my machine in CS4, CS5, CS5.5, but they depend on what kind of project I'm working on. E.g. projects with lots of expressions will always expose this behavior, since the expressions mess with AE's temporal logic and caching. As I said in another thread, many times AE trying to be all too smart and figuring out what to keep in RAM and what to kick out is just getting in the way and I would file that in that category. Otehr than that you could look into what features and plug-ins you use and try to see a pattern. OpenGL driven plug-ins for instance may simply not unload favorably and it takes forever until your graphics card flushes and releases its memory so the system can shut down the host app...

Mylenium

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: AE CS5.5 Takes a long time to quit
            voxL Level 1

Thanks Mylenium:

This is the first time I've encountered this issue - and now I know that it isn't just my setup...

• 3. Re: AE CS5.5 Takes a long time to quit
              sinious Most Valuable Participant

I run dual quad xeons and use all 8 cpus.. It does take a little time to get each instance of the rendering engine to quit safely. A little time being about 10-12 seconds total. That can feel like a long time when you're used to insta-quitting most apps.

• 4. Re: AE CS5.5 Takes a long time to quit
                voxL Level 1

We used to have to wait a long time for our slow hardware. Now that hardware runs at a reasonable speed we have to wait for our sophisticated software - just to exit!

Go figure...