14 Replies Latest reply on Feb 16, 2012 9:57 PM by Crellin Sound

Raid and Speed

Crellin Sound

Hello There,

I'm getting ready to buy CS 5.5 Production Premium and, yes, I'm not yet familiar with it.  I used to cut and splice film.  I have a little experience with video, but not enough to answer all my questions. Your input would be appreciated.

One of the requirements for Premier is as follows.

7200 RPM hard drive for editing compressed video formats; RAID 0 for uncompressed

I do have a 7200rpm hard drive in my computer, so I'm OK there.  I'm a little confused about compressed and uncompressed video.  What are they and what's the difference in results of each?

And I'm clueless on RAID 0.  Can you give me a general idea of what that is?  I do have some external hard drives I could use, if necessary.

Again, any help and direction is appreciated.

BT

• 1. Re: Raid and Speed
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Go to http://forums.adobe.com/community/premiere/hardware_forum?view=overview and have a look at the list of Hardware FAQ articles. If you move to the discussions tab, there is a featured article about Raids as well.

I do have a 7200rpm hard drive in my computer, so I'm OK there.

Not necessarily. If you really mean 'a' as in singular, no, you are not OK. You need at least two but better three physically different drives. Read the articles and also have a look at some of the popular threads shown on the right hand side on the hardware forum.

For info on the codecs (compressed or uncompressed), have a look at Adobe Forums: System requirements for CS5

• 2. Re: Raid and Speed
            Crellin Sound Level 1

Hello Harm,

Thanks for the answer.  The piece on RAID was extremely informative.  Great stuff.

I'm in a bit of a bind on hardware.  I'm flying all over the place and can't carry a lot.  A laptop and backup drive are about all I can handle.  When I read the system specson the Adobe purchase page, there was no indication that I need two or three drives. 

Are you saying that Premier just won't work at all without several drives?  I think I meet all the specs other than that.

Could you please update the link for system requirements for CS5 that you put in your response?  All I get is a Page Not Found notification.  I'd like to look at that and see if it's much different than what's in the Adobe purchase page.

What a bummer.  I was really looking forward to using CS5.

Thanks,

BT

• 3. Re: Raid and Speed
              Harm Millaard Level 7

Sorry about that, the Jive software seems to corrupt my bookmarked links: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/810750?tstart=0

In the past Adobe mentioned 'a DEDICATED drive' in their requirements. Probably Marketing found that word superfluous and left it out in the newer requirements. That can be confusing and that is why I wrote the article linked to above.

• 4. Re: Raid and Speed
                Crellin Sound Level 1

Hello Harm,

Well .................. I'm pretty much talked out of getting CS5.5.  I sure was looking forward to it, but I don't think it'll work.  It's pretty hard to get a laptop that'll meet the requirements.

I wonder if there's any way to buy CS3 Production Premium.  I can surely meet those system requirements.

Thanks,

BT

• 5. Re: Raid and Speed
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

Asus, Sager and Clevo have a number of laptops that meet requirements. If you go to Benchmark Results and select 'Laptops' under Computer type, you will see a number (currently 48) that more or less meet requirements. However, even the fastest laptop is around three times slower than a fast desktop. There are also systems that are around 70 x slower, slower than molasses in winter.

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Raid and Speed
                    Crellin Sound Level 1

Hello Harm,

The Benchmark Results table is wonderful.  I'll keep it in mind in the future.

It's interesting to see that there are a couple of 2-core 5400rpm machines that seem to fill the bill.  In light of that, I might just squeak by.  Maybe.

If you don't mind, could you take a quick peek at this and tell me what you think?  In essence, this is my computer, with the exception that I'll soon have a much bigger 7200rpm hard drive. 

I won't do anything massive with this computer.  I would like, however, to be able to have CS5 for the workflow.

Thanks,

BT

• 7. Re: Raid and Speed
                      Harm Millaard Level 7

Don't do it. Much too weak a CPU, not enough memory, insufficient resolution of the monitor, Vista, only a single disk. It will drive you nuts with the slow response times and you can't see essential parts of the GUI, so you will have to guess what options are available. You work in the blind. It is underspecced and does not meet minimum requirements, not even with earlier versions of CS.

BTW, please modify your link to http://www.docs.sony.com/release/SPECS/VGNNS190JL_mksp.pdf otherwise it will not work.

• 8. Re: Raid and Speed
                        RjL190365 Level 4

I agree with Harm. Your laptop is already at least three CPU generations old, which will no longer cut it for any video editing whatsoever these days. Worse, it uses slow DDR2 system RAM. And as I have stated repeatedly, a single SATA hard drive simply cannot handle simultaneous reads and writes that are required of any NLE (yes, even cheapo consumer NLEs) because SATA itself is only half-duplex rather than full-duplex (which means that the interface must wait for all data transfers for a particular set in one direction to be completed before any transfers in the opposite direction could even begin). Plus, that laptop has absolutely no discrete GPU at all whatsoever; instead, it relies on the Intel Graphics Media Accelerator that's embedded into the laptop's core-logic chipset (which will never perform as fast as most discrete GPUs to begin with). Finally, a vertical display resolution of 800 lines just isn't enough for any NLE, considering that even CS3 requires a minimum display resolution of 1280x1024 to even display the work area properly. To top it off, it does not appear to have any CardBus slots at all whatsoever; it has only USB 2.0 and Firewire 400 ports (and absolutely no eSATA or USB 3.0 ports whatsoever). As a result, any external hard drive will transfer no faster than 27 MB/s in writes (via USB 2.0) - far below the sequential write speed of an modern hard drive - plus, many external hard drive enclosures with Firewire 400 have lousy Firewire 400 controllers in them that are actually slower than USB 2.0.

All that results in a laptop that does a poor job of running even CS2 or CS3, and renders the use of CS5 or CS5.5 completely wasted. With the current CPU and RAM combo, even with one external drive it is still around 60 times slower than a fast desktop.

• 9. Re: Raid and Speed
                          Crellin Sound Level 1

Well ............ bummer again.

I'll figure something out.  There is actually an eSATA slot, so maybe it'll be fast enough for something like Vegas.  I have my fingers crossed.

Thanks, guys.  I appreciate your comments.  If you have any other comments, please let me know.

BT

• 10. Re: Raid and Speed
                            RjL190365 Level 4

Oh, I see. In this case, the best that you can do on that laptop is to get yourself a G-RAID kit using eSATA, and hope for the best. Single external drives will not cut it.

• 11. Re: Raid and Speed
                              Crellin Sound Level 1

G-RAID kit?  What's that?

I can plug in two external drives to the e-SATA slot.

Does that put me back in the running?  Or should I steer clear of CS5?

Thanks,

BT

• 12. Re: Raid and Speed
                                Harm Millaard Level 7

Apart from the disk setup, your major, and I mean MAJOR problem is the display. You can't use the complete GUI, you have to guess what options are available and what to choose for the simple reason you can't see them. Even if the system runs slower than an elderly, handicapped snail that brakes before cornering, you can't see what you are doing. So make that a blind snail.

• 13. Re: Raid and Speed
                                  RjL190365 Level 4

As Harm stated, your major problem is the display itself. As such, you should steer clear of any version of Creative Suite (including CS2 and CS3, let alone CS4 and CS5.x), which all require a much higher vertical display resolution than your LCD display. In fact, you should probably avoid editing video altogether on that laptop: The only way to make it even usable would be to connect an external large monitor to that laptop's VGA port - but the very large size of a suitable external monitor, coupled by the fact that such a monitor requires an AC mains source and outlet, completely defeats the purpose of a laptop to begin with.

• 14. Re: Raid and Speed
                                    Crellin Sound Level 1

Hi Guys,

I have to make do with what I have for the moment.  In the country in which I live, there just aren't great machines available for reasonable prices.  I'll have to wait until I get back to the States to graduate from what I'm using now.  The Sony has been great, but it just can't keep up with new stuff.

Thanks for keeping me out of trouble.  I appreciate that.  I'll be back with more questions later.  In the meantime, Vegas here I come.

Thanks again.

BT