3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 20, 2012 10:27 AM by J Fiok

In Design crashing when placing text

meagher63

I'm creating a book of essays related to my workplace. I created a table of contents, preface page and placed the initial essay (all from Microsoft Word) with absolutely no problems. When I went to place the second essay on a subsequent page of the document, all of a sudden I received a message from the InDesign program that said, "Adobe InDesign CS5 has stopped working. A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Please close the program."  I can place images with no problems and can do other things with InDesign but am at a loss at not being able to place a Word doc. I checked with our IT person and they weren't able to help. The project is due at the end of the month so I'm sweating it a little. Any thoughts?  Thanks.

• 1. Re: In Design crashing when placing text
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Could be a lot of things...

First try saving from word in another format, like RTF, and see if that works. And check the Import Options to see if maybe something could be changed there that might help. If the Word file contains some strange font not inthe other file(s) it might just be a bad font.

Is this happening with all files? Can you palce this problem file in a different document?

• 2. Re: In Design crashing when placing text
            John Hawkinson Level 5

Operating system?

Version of InDesign?

Trash your preferences.

Export your document to IDML.

Try placing an RTF file instead (ok, yes, Peter suggested that).

• 3. Re: In Design crashing when placing text
              J Fiok

It could also be some settings within your paragraph formatting within Word that causes the text to kick to the next page (overset text) - such as having a long line of text for a hyperlink and having it not hyphenate and/or break.  If a line of paragraph of text isn't allowed to break, it will try to fit in the next frame infinitely.

We work with a lot of files we have these types of issues with and, generally, it's related to a hyperlink or table that's setup too wide to fit on the page with the margins as they're setup or the hypenation setting is off.  You can also trying placing by click-and-dragging wider than the page to help determine where the issue originates within the new text.

Sometimes it's just something you would never notice until this error occurs.