3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 16, 2012 5:36 PM by kglad

Embed Font disappears after copy paste

dmperkins74 Level 1

Hi there gang,

I've got a dynamic text field that has embedded fonts. When I copy it from one file to another, the pasted text field loses it's embedded checkmarks. I have to open up the embed menu and reselect the appropriate embed keys. Any idea what could be causing this?

The problem is that this text field is inside a component that many of my coworkers use several times / day in many assets. We just jumped to CS5.5 from 4 and text is now disappearing. I've tracked it down to this issue, but don't know how to resolve it. There's NO reason this dynamic text field should be losing it's embedded... uh... ness!!

Any input appreciated.

Thanks,

dp

• 1. Re: Embed Font disappears after copy paste
          kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP

an embedded font is not "attached" to the textfield (despite the fact that you can embed a font using the properties panel with the textfield selected).  the font is "added" to the swf.  you'll see the font in the swf's library after correctly embedding.

so, if you move a textfield from a swf, that has the textfield's font embedded, to a swf that doesn't have that font embedded, that textfield (and every other textfield in that swf) will behave just like a textfield that does NOT have that font embedded.

for your situation, use a system font.

• 2. Re: Embed Font disappears after copy paste
            dmperkins74 Level 1

Thanks for the feedback.

I'm SOOOO disappointed to hear this. I imagine there's some really smart reason for this, but it's totally wreaking havoc on some key elements we rely on daily. It really is a shame. All properties should simply carry along. This would be like if I had a movie clip that was alpha 25 and I copied it over to another file and the alpha went away. It's bad, inconsistent authoring usability.

When you say "use a system font", what specifically do you mean... is that "device font"? In the past, I've had inconsistent results with that.

Also, if I've got something that uses a fancy font? It happens that the component I'm working with is using Arial, so that's not a problem, but as I'm resolving these issues, I might have some that use something that's not on other folks' devices.

Thanks again for the input,

Dan P.

• 3. Re: Embed Font disappears after copy paste
              kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP

correct, system font = device font.  you have 3 choices.  i think the standard component font is _sans if you want a look consistant with other fonts.

if you want to use some other font, you'll need to develop a work-around or hire someone to do that.

p.s.  please mark helpful/correct responses, if there are any.