10 Replies Latest reply: Feb 28, 2015 8:18 AM by umbertor48459004 RSS

Pan envelope not displayed for some tracks in MT view.

MikeAiken Community Member

OK I'm stumped! In multitrack view some of my tracks show the pan envelope rubberband and others don't (of course they're the ones I want to work on). I've tried searching the forums before posting this and can't find anything about it, and even though I think I'm in the CS5.5 forum I'm getting answers about PDF documents and other stuff. Maybe I need help from y'all about how to search these forums also. Thanks. Mike

• 1. Re: Pan envelope not displayed for some tracks in MT view.

I'm adding a little more information here in hopes somebody can help. I just spent a couple of hours on the phone with Adobe tech support but they had no idea what was going on either. They promised to get back with me later.

In the first few projects I've started with CS5.5 the multitrack view shows volume and pan envelope rubberbands on the first few tracks and then only a volume rubberband on the rest of the tracks. In one project the first four tracks, from the top down, have pan rubberbands and in another project the first six tracks have them. The rest of the tracks do not have them at all. I've found that I can insert an empty track further down the screen and move the clip from one of the upper tracks down to it, then pull a clip from one of the lower tracks and drop it onto the now empty upper track and the clip now magically has pan control, but the one I moved down now does not. This proves to me that it can't have anything to do with the original file format, which has been suggested. The files were recorded in a Nashville studio and are all 44100Hz, 32-bit, Mono, Broadcast Wave Files (had to find this in AA3.0 since 5.5 no longer has "File info"). Be aware that I'm talking about "clip envelopes" here which are displayed on the actual waveform display in the track. I'm not talking about "track envelopes", which I can still turn on below each track. I know that I could do what I need to with the track envelopes but the clip envelopes apparently are something new in 5.5 and I'm loving them because they're easier to position accurately and don't take up extra space on the screen.

Have any of you seen this happen and do you have any ideas?  Thanks.  Mike

• 2. Re: Pan envelope not displayed for some tracks in MT view.

OK, so tonight I'm working on mixing down another one of the songs on my project and I double click on an instrumental track to go into the waveform editor to correct a few notes. I do a lot of  bluegrass music with instruments like banjo, mandolin, and so on, so each note is well defined and it's easy to copy and mixpaste a note in the waveform editor over one that may be a little off. I've already adjusted my pans in multitrack view to place the individual instruments in the positions that I want to start off with. When an instrument takes a solo during the song, I usually pan the track more toward the center of the soundfield and raise the volume a little and then pan back to the side afterwards. That's the reason I posted my first questions above, because the "clip pan envelope" wasn't working for all tracks. Tonight I was using the "track pan envelopes" which you turn on under the "Read > Show Envelopes > Pan" for each track over on the left side of the multitrack screen, which show up as rubberbands under the track in MT view and that was working for what I need. Anyway, when I went back to MT view all of my pan control knobs were gone from the MT screen and from the mixer screen, which I run on a seperate monitor (the little knob icon called "Stereo Balance" when you hover your mouse over it, to the right of the "Volume" knob just under the "Track Title" and "Mute", Solo", and "Arm for Record" button icons).  I saved my session and closed it and when I reopened it they were back but this CS5.5 version is really starting to scare me. I really need to get this project finished and am thinking about going back to 3.0 but it looks like I'll lose everything I've done with volumes and envelopes and effects by exporting to a format that 3.0 can open. Also, although "Pitch correction" wasn't the greatest in 3.0 it usually did all that I needed it for and I can't believe that It's missing in 5.5. Am I out my money for upgrading to the latest, greatest version of Audition?

• 3. Re: Pan envelope not displayed for some tracks in MT view.

Problem solved thanks to a very sharp Senior Tech Support guy at Adobe, and it turned out to be pretty simple at that. The number of tracks (7, counting the master) that Audition opens with by default are all stereo, and the additional tracks that I had inserted were mono. I had thought that mono tracks were what I needed since the source files were all mono. I didn't even know that you could place a mono file in a stereo track without it showing L and R waveforms. Anyway, everything's working great now. Don't know what happened the other night with the "Stereo Balance" knob icons disappearing. Maybe I was seeing things, but I'm not going to worry about that now. Sorry about some of the things I said about Adobe in my last post.

• 4. Re: Pan envelope not displayed for some tracks in MT view.
                _durin_ Employee Hosts

Thanks for the follow-up, Mike.  If you run into the disappearing knobs issue again, try to grab a screenshot and attach it to a post, or send it directly to audbugs@adobe.com  If you see it every time you open that particular session, attach the .SESX file (no need for the audio files) as well and we can take a look.

Durin

• 5. Re: Pan envelope not displayed for some tracks in MT view.
                  bostonbaritone

I am having what seems to be the same problem but I am unclear about the solution from the previous posts. I have a multitrack session that has 4 tracks in it, each recorded from a single mic. They are set at the default stereo but the pan buttons do not appear in the multitrack view. When I go to the mixer view, there is a panning icon on the left (where the expand arrows etc are), but nothing available within each track. Ideas?

• 6. Re: Pan envelope not displayed for some tracks in MT view.
                    ryclark Community Member

have you allowed enough room in the Track header space to show the Pan controls? Do they reappear if you extend the width and/or height of the header space?

• 7. Re: Pan envelope not displayed for some tracks in MT view.
                      bostonbaritone Community Member

yep, plenty of room. No button. :-(

• 8. Re: Pan envelope not displayed for some tracks in MT view.
                        umbertor48459004

i have a different problem, i hope you know someting to do for it:

when i pan a stereo track for example L100 or R100 in a multitrack session when i play it continues to play the track perfectely centered like before panning, why?

EVen if i use automation the result is the same....help me pleaseeeee!

• 9. Re: Pan envelope not displayed for some tracks in MT view.
                          Bob Howes Community Member

See my answer to your same question in another thread.  Basically you can't pan a stereo track because, by definition, stereo is already panned.  However, depending on what you have and what you want to do, you can convert you track to one or two mono ones then pan away.

• 10. Re: Pan envelope not displayed for some tracks in MT view.
                            umbertor48459004 Community Member

i will try, but i must tell you that in mono i' ve not found the pan option anywere!

And then i've seen on youtube guys simpli moving the pan in stereo and work perfectely, so i was worried about my specific program!

So, in mono how i can pam?

thank you in advance, very kind!!