6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 18, 2012 9:38 AM by jwm2g

Reset to Pristine Environment?

jwm2g

On my main logon ID (Win7), AE (CS4) has somehow gotten corrupted.  Every time I try to render a project, it starts the render, and ultimately crashes with that "you've got one chance to save everything...", etc. message.  Then it goes away, and my hard drive proceeds to be pegged reading/writing full throttle for about 15 minutes.  (no, I'm not exagerating).  This is not intermittent.  I can't get a render out of it, ever, now.  But the interesting thing is, I created a second user ID on Windows, on the same machine, and logged into it.  And AE works fine on that ID.

So this is obviously some sort of configuration/profile something that is messed up on my main ID.  I've tried to find 'global reset' or something like that.  I've also looked around for a config file and/or registry keys.  But I haven't found anything that has successfully restored AE on this ID to look like a new install.  I don't care if lose customization or anything.  I truly want it to think I've never started AE on this ID.

My question is, what do I have to do in to completely wipe out the AE setttings on for this logon ID?

Thanks.

Jerry

P.S. I don't think hardware is relevant to this question, but this is on an HP HDX 18 laptop, 64bit Win7, 4GB memory, QuadCore processor, 2 500GB hard drives.  Horsepower is not a problem.  And again, it works fine on the same machine with a different login id.

• 1. Re: Reset to Pristine Environment?
          jwm2g Level 1

BTW.... I know how to go 'under the hood' if necessary... modifying/deleting registry entries and/or locating/deleting profile files, etc  I just need to know where to look.

Thx

• 2. Re: Reset to Pristine Environment?
            Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Check your media cache and multiprocessing settings. To delete the prefs or related data, simply check your user home directory --> C:\Users\You\AppData\Roaming\Adobe and so on.

Mylenium

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Reset to Pristine Environment?
              Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Preferences, including keyboard shortcuts and workspaces, are stored in files in the following locations for After Effects CS4:

• (Mac OS) <drive>/Users/<username>/Library/Preferences/Adobe/After Effects/9.0
              • (Windows) <drive>\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\After Effects\9.0

You can delete that entire preferences directory to start fresh.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Reset to Pristine Environment?
                jwm2g Level 1

Thanks for the info.  I've deleted the directory and will try it shortly. Mylinium, you said 'check your cache and multiprocessing settings'.  I do understand what caching and multiprocessing is.  But I don't know what I'm checking for. (what's 'good' settings and what's 'bad' settings).  I know there's a boatload of settings.  But AE is a little weak in explaining why I would want to raise or lower a particular setting and the ramifications changing something (especially if accidentally changing a parameter results in constant crashing and 10 minutes of harddrive activity after closing).

It is very likely that sometime back I did make changes.  I have some pretty large projects with some fairly intensive renders with massive harddrive activity during what I would think should be only CPU-intensive calculations.  Basically, I'd like to 'tune' the settings to get AE to use the max resources of the system, even to the detriment of anything else running in the system, if it can improve render time.  Is there an article some place that summarizes the parameter tuning philosophy and what 'pops out elsewhere' when you 'push here'?

Thx.

• 6. Re: Reset to Pristine Environment?
                  jwm2g Level 1

Thanks so much to everyone for the help.  After reading through the info and realizing that each processor allocated requires fixed 2gb of memory, everything made sense.  Definitely better in my situation to let the other processors take a coffee break due to the small amount of memory.

Although.... even though I was horribly misconfigured and bringing the machine to it's knees with swapping, I still have a problem that AE would crash every time and/or replace frames with color bars, etc.  Even if bad configuration forces the render to take a week instead of an hour, the end result IMHO should be a correct rendered video. Very frustrating when I'd wait hours and then get an unusable video.  Just my 2 cents worth.