21 Replies Latest reply on Feb 23, 2012 4:59 AM by Christopher_Engelhardt

Upgrading to Lion safe yet?

Canonboy2010

Hey everyone. I've been neglecting to upgrade to Lion. I have all the most current CS5 or 5.5 versions... but have heard that there's some bugs. Is it safe to ugrade yet?

I primarily use:

Photoshop

Indesign

Illustrator

AfterEffects

Lightroom

Dreamweaver

Thoughts?

• 1. Re: Upgrading to Lion safe yet?
          Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Personally, I've found no bugs in InDesign, Illustrator or Photoshop that could be attributed to Lion. Can't speak about the other applications because I don't use them.

• 2. Re: Upgrading to Lion safe yet?
            Canonboy2010 Level 1

Well thats good. I just get worried about the "unexpectibly quit" nothing is more worse then that!!!!

• 3. Re: Upgrading to Lion safe yet?
              Mark Southee Level 2

I too have had no issues with Lion and CS5 applications (InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator and Dreamweaver)

• 4. Re: Upgrading to Lion safe yet?
                BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

I have found no overriding reason to even consider Lion and if I did I would do a clean install.

My experience with Snow Leopard left me with a machine that was barely useable.

In short, if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.

Bob

• 5. Re: Upgrading to Lion safe yet?
                  Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Here's my take on this: Things are changing faster now in the software world. Both Adobe and Apple are moving to faster schedules for updates.

Apple's new OS, Mountain Lion, will be out "this summer." You'll probably need to be on Lion to download Mountain Lion. I'd make your move to Lion in the next few months. It's quite stable. While it's prudent to wait until most of the bugs are out of new software, getting too far behind in software can also cause problems.

• 6. Re: Upgrading to Lion safe yet?
                    BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

I may wipe the whole thing out when CS6 is released and go from there.

Bob

• 7. Re: Upgrading to Lion safe yet?
                      Christopher_Engelhardt Level 1

I would upgrade like steve said to. I use Lion for PS, ID, Illy, and DW with no problems that were caused by a software problem. Was CS6 announced yet???

• 8. Re: Upgrading to Lion safe yet?
                        Grant H Level 4

first to bob:

My experience with Snow Leopard left me with a machine that was barely useable.

hmnnn, luckily i have had ZERO probs with snow leop.

to op: NO, dont do it....  i have found many of my colleagues almost in tears... search the net... MANY issues to MANY users.

G

• 9. Re: Upgrading to Lion safe yet?
                          Rik Ramsay Level 4

I have had no problem since upgrading to Lion. In fact, I had no problem with Snow Leopard either. I waited until about 2 months ago to upgrade so they could get rid of the "bugs" and so far, so good. The one biggest benefit to me with Lion has been iCloud. It's nice to have my iPad and iPhone constantly syncing with each other.

• 10. Re: Upgrading to Lion safe yet?
                            Jeffrey_Smith Most Valuable Participant

I upgraded my home macbook to lion. I have the Creative Suite installed, but really haven't done any heavy production on it, but everything seems fine. I have to say my biggest problem with lion has been wifi dropoffs. If you rely on wifi, you may want to consider holding off until Apple releases a real fix to this problem.

• 11. Re: Upgrading to Lion safe yet?
                              Canonboy2010 Level 1

Good to hear most of you aren't having major issues. I think i'll make the switch. Pretty soon snow leopard won't be supported as much then i'll really be screwed!!

• 12. Re: Upgrading to Lion safe yet?
                                John Hawkinson Level 5

I believe there are a handful of minor issues.

The open dialog box in InDesign cannot follow Finder Aliases under Lion.

Scripts in Illustrator that call Folder.selectDialog() to present the user with a choice of a file to operate on break under Lion unless the script author applies an unexpected workaround.

There are probably other similar minor issues. I think I also recall hearing about some reason to avoid 10.7.3 versus 10.7.2.

That said, I am running Lion on my Mac laptop (10.7.2) and while I've noticed the above 2 issues, it's no big deal.

If you had CS4 or CS3, I would be more concerned.

• 13. Re: Upgrading to Lion safe yet?
                                  Joel Cherney Adobe Community Professional & MVP
                                  If you had CS4 or CS3, I would be more concerned.

Yeah, my new MPB is ostensibly arriving today, and I've already resolved to use CS3 and CS4 only in Boot Camp (unless there's some way to install or virtualize Snow Leopard that I don't know about yet.)

• 14. Re: Upgrading to Lion safe yet?
                                    macinbytes Level 4

You can virtualize 10.5 and 10.6 fine in either VirtualBox (free) and several other virtualization packages. I use VirtualBox to 10.5 server administration, which has tools that don't work in 10.6 and use 10.6 for applications that Lion's java broke.

Not peppy but it gets by in a pinch. Works much better on the i7 Macs which your MBP will be.

• 15. Re: Upgrading to Lion safe yet?
                                      Joel Cherney Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Not peppy but it gets by in a pinch.

I guess that depends on your peppiness metric - I've spent the last decade in a nonprofit organization. I wouldn't call this experience of virtualization snappy by any means, but it's perfectly useable.

• 16. Re: Upgrading to Lion safe yet?
                                        John Hawkinson Level 5
                                        I guess that depends on your peppiness metric - I've spent the last decade in a nonprofit organization. I wouldn't call this experience of virtualization snappy by any means, but it's perfectly useable.

I'm about the last person to cheerlead for virtualization, but theoretically you should see nearly-equivalent performance. If you're not, I suspect you need more RAM... So, if you didn't upgrade to 8GB, you probably should, for a mere $45 or so.

• 17. Re: Upgrading to Lion safe yet?
                                          rgbtshirts

I am wondering the same thing.  I previously installed 10.7 immediately after release and had immense problems with CS5.  Illustrator was fully unusable which for me is crucial so I reinstalled back to Snow Leopard.  Have these issues been resolved?

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/905/cpsid_90508.html

Thanks

• 18. Re: Upgrading to Lion safe yet?
                                            John Hawkinson Level 5

rgbtshirts, if you could be much more specific, it would be easier to help you.

If you are asking about issues with Illustrator, please ask in the Illustrator forums, not here. This is the forum for InDesign.

The URL you note cites only one issue with Illustrator that I see:

Illustrator

In Illustrator CS5 and CS5.1, the option to save or export is disabled in the Save As Or Export dialog box if the save location is the desktop. See Save/Export button is disabled on OS 10.7 | Illustrator CS5/CS5.1.

I'm not sure why that would be unusable for you, and I don't have any information about whether it is resolved.

Please clarify your question.

• 19. Re: Upgrading to Lion safe yet?
                                              chattanewbee

I DID have a problem with InDesign, Photoshop & Dreamweaver when I upgraded to Lion. After a stressful couple days and $100 to an IT guy still no success with problem. Then I found the solution that worked for me. Here it is:

" A couple days ago I asked Why my InDesign is Unresponsive after installing Lion & I wanted to share what the answer was.

Anyhow...after wiping out my computer & doing a clean install by an IT person, InDesign was still Unresponsive. Somewhere along the line we were able (ha ha) to get an error that said I need to install Java RunTime. Apparently this is not included in Lion & is needed to run InDesign.

Hope this might help  others out there experiencing this problem"

My PhotoShop was also crashing when I tried to print. OK Now.

My Dreamweaver was automatically inserting attributes to things that didn't support those attributes - haven't seen if that's still a problem yet.

• 20. Re: Upgrading to Lion safe yet?
                                                pagalina Level 1

I have been fighting all day with Indesign CS5 hanging and crashing since I updated to Lion. I finally pulled Extensis Suitcase Fusion out of the plugin folder and lo and behold i can finally open existing files after about 8 hours of frustration. It appears that indesign/lion/suitcase is a bad combo even if you have the most updated versions of each of them.

• 21. Re: Upgrading to Lion safe yet?
                                                  Christopher_Engelhardt Level 1

Who did this "IT Guy" work for, if it's like Best Buy or some other huge store then...you've been cheated sooo bad. I am willing to remote in and help people with tech problems via LogMeIn Rescue. To add insurance that I won't screw up your computer I provide my phone number and email address. But not always because if it sounds like something I have no clue about I will just provide hopefully helpful information via these forums. I also know a few really great IT guys who would look at your computer for free and try and help you, until you need something like a new hardrive or something.