6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 18, 2012 7:33 AM by Steve Grisetti

Combine multiple still images into one clip PE 10

mark_al

Is it possible to combine mulitple still images into a single clip? For example, I have 50 still images in a video track, each of which is a clip, and I want to combine them into single clip out of them so I can adjust the opacity without having to adjust each of the 50 clips individually. Any information is welcome. Thanks.

• 1. Re: Combine multiple still images into one clip PE 10
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

There are several ways to do this, but this is the simplest.

Place them all on the timeline, then use Share/Computer/AVI with the DV preset to output them as a video file.

Remove the stills from your timeline and replace it with the video.

• 2. Re: Combine multiple still images into one clip PE 10
            nealeh Level 5

Select all the clips, right-click and choose Group.

1.png

Cheers,

--

Neale

Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 3. Re: Combine multiple still images into one clip PE 10
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

If you have adjustments, that you wish to apply to multiple Still Images (or Video Clips), you can make the adjustments to the first, then Rt-click on it, choosing Copy. Now, to apply those adjustments to ALL, just Select the other Stills/Clips, then Rt-click on them, and choose Paste Attributes. All adjustments will then be applied to those too.

For Still Images, I strongly recommend that you first Scale all to match the Frame Size of the Project, before Importing them into the Project. This ARTICLE will give you tips, and details.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Combine multiple still images into one clip PE 10
                mark_al Level 1

Thank you all, for your replies.

@ Steve: Thanks for your input. Actually, I had done this but I was hoping there was an easier way to do it within PE, without having to export as a video file and then importing that video file.

@Bill: That's a very useful suggestion regarding attributes pasting. I will definitely put that to use, and will be reading your article as well. Thanks.

@nealeh: Thanks for the screenshot. In fact, grouping still images together allows you to do things with them as a whole, such as copy and paste, but it doesn't affect changing opacity: each  still/clip must be adjusted individually even if a number of stills are are grouped.

• 5. Re: Combine multiple still images into one clip PE 10
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Mark,

I had done this but I was hoping there was an easier way to do it within PE, without having to export as a video file and then importing that video file.

One has to think about what PrE is doing with the Timeline, to understand why the Export/Share is necessary to get Stills/Clips to become one file. PrE is a non-destructive editor, in that it does not actually work with the Source Footage/Files, but only extracts data from them. What we see on the Timeline is really a proxy file, representing the edits that we are making. It is stored as XML language, with first links to the Source Files, and then a set of instructions on what we have done with that data. Since the Timeline is but a representation, of what we have done, there is no AV file - yet. That does not come about, until we Export/Share. At that point, PrE looks at the Project file (PREL), and notes exactly what data is required from the Source Files. The program then reads that information, and say gathers the data of Clip # 1 from 00;00;00;00 until 00;05;00;00, for use in the output file. It then moves to say Clip 2, and extracts the data needed there. Finally, the program processes that data, say adding Effects, and then Exports/Shares to a new file - creating that from the data, and the instructions. Still, the originals are not changed in any way - they are untouched, and only read from.

For instance, say we have a 20 min. Source Clip, and cut it into 30 tiny segments, "deleting" material between those. We have not really Cut that Source Clip, and we have not really deleted anything - only in our proxy file, and with the instructions in the PREL. It is the same with Still Images. We see them as separate Clips, with the Duration that we have set, and perhaps any animation that we have added via Keyframing the Fixed Effects>Motion>Scale (Zoom), and Motion>Position (Pan), but other than seeing those changes in the proxy file, used only for display of the Timeline and playback, nothing has been done yet. Then, upon Export/Share, when the output file is created, those changes are enacted on it.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Combine multiple still images into one clip PE 10
                    Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

You can always adjust the opacity for one image and, when you've got it right, right-click on it and select Copy, then select the others, right-click and select Paste Attributes.