4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 19, 2012 6:44 AM by cykehjul3

edit .mts / H.264 file in premier pro and preserve time of recording (typical timedateoriginal meta)

cykehjul3 Level 1

There is a similar discusion in this thread, but I though i start a new focused thread, and sum up

Similar thread:  http://forums.adobe.com/message/4212491#4212491

This is what i want to acheive:

My AVCHD camcorder generated a bunch of ,mts files.

I want to merge these into a single file, edit it in premier pro and generate a video in which the subtitle track contains the time of recording.

This is what i can do:

1. I can merge all .mts into a single .mts with the help of tsmux
      2. I can then extract the timedateorginal meta codes of this file with all the recording dates and times with the help of subtitlemaker (url in my entry in the thread above) and make a subtile .txt file.
      3. I can then add the subtitle track to the .mts file in Adobe Encore and i'm done!

But here is my problem:

I want to edit the clips. I can not do that in encore, i need premier pro for that.

However, if i start to edit .mts in premier pro, it seems i lose the meta data which contains time of recording.

Even if i go the really cumbersome way of editing each original .mts files individually (auch)..I still have the same problem.

HELP !

In my DV days life were easy:

1. Import the 9Gbps single DV file into premier pro.
      2. edit the whole thing.
      3. export as DV
      4. run through http://paul.glagla.free.fr/fichiers/dvdate_71en.zip and generate a subtitle file which contains the time of recording dates and times for the video.
      5. add subtitle to the video in encore, done.

I appriciate any solution. I don't think i am the only one with this problem. I have googled really hard to find a solution, but have had no luck.

Thanks...

Per

• 1. Re: edit .mts / H.264 file in premier pro and preserve time of recording (typical timedateoriginal meta)
          Jim_Simon Level 8

I don't think this will be possible.  Once you bring the clips into PP and export, you're generating entirely new video, with new metadata.

• 2. Re: edit .mts / H.264 file in premier pro and preserve time of recording (typical timedateoriginal meta)
            cykehjul3 Level 1

Well...it is possible with DV formats.

In Premier pro I import DV, edit and export DV and the timecodes are preserved!

I can even generate a new DV file with the source from different DV files, and i STILL have correct date and time of recording thoughout the new DV !!

Even to the extend that if i cut in a scene, it preserves the running time code.

Example; a scene in the DV file starts at 8:30 o'clock and last 4 mins. If I cut a minute out after 1 minutes and export the whole DV as DV, my subtitle generator wil provide a subtitle for 8.30 and one for 8.32.

In Encore it then shows both the 8.30 and 8.32 time of recording perfectly.

I would even be happy if with .mts i could get just 8.30 for both clips from the same scene (.mts file)..

But not even that seems possible as you say.

That is why i was so disapointed when i moved from DV to AVCHD camcorder.

But if this is not possible, what IS possibel ..?

Clearly what i want to achieve makes sense..?

I want to be able to switch on subtitle to see at what time/date a scene was recorded, nothing more.

thx

Per

• 3. Re: edit .mts / H.264 file in premier pro and preserve time of recording (typical timedateoriginal meta)
              Jim_Simon Level 8
              Well...it is possible with DV formats.

Yep.  But not with HD.

Clearly what i want to achieve makes sense..?

Honestly, not really.  Premiere Pro is a professional level editor, and the only scenario I can think of where someone would want this is the home video maker, for which there are many consumer programs out there.  I can't guarantee one of them will do what you want, either.  And that's probably the fault of the camera makers more than anything, who've really muffed up this whole HD business when it comes to codecs and file structure.

• 4. Re: edit .mts / H.264 file in premier pro and preserve time of recording (typical timedateoriginal meta)
                cykehjul3 Level 1

So..for anyone who has the same problem and find this thread, here are my 2pence.

I want to make a home move of our last 5 skiing vacations. I want a subtitle track containing  the time of recording information.

I do not want a title overlay on the video, but when the discussion about 'when was that--!?' comes up, i want to be able to turn on subtitle. Simple !

I moved from DV to AVCHD (not because of HD Jim, but the DV camcorder was old, and newer seemed better at the time)

Hence my new problem: I have a bunch of .mts files, i need to edit those in a timeline editor, and get a subtitle track with the recording time.

recording time is in the -mts video meta data called timedateoriginal. To some extend also file attribute date of change (=time of writing to the SD card).

As it seems difficult to keep the meta data once you passed a timeline editor, and the file attribute does not make sense when you put a bunch of .mts files together, I think the best way forward is to find a timeline editor which also has subtitle tracks.

i.e. after steps 1) and 2) in my i have a single file and a .srt subtitle file to match.

I can now use those in a timeline editor.

Hunt is out for which editor, but it seems there are a couple of options. To be tested.

Once the sequence is edited, the new version of the subtitle needed to be exported so that it can be imported into adobe encore together with the final sequence for DVD/blu-ray authoring.

If anyone find a better way,, please let me know.

thanks...