7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 20, 2012 7:02 AM by Dallas2004

Tab Ruler Issues with CS4

Dallas2004

Hi. I am having trouble with the tab ruler in CS4. Whenever I zoom in to the long text box I need to set tabs in, the box is 44" long, the tab ruler does not stay with the text box if zoomed in more that 100%. Even when I have the ruler 'locked' to the text box I am setting tabs in, it fails to stay with the box. I scroll the the right to see the rest of the text box but the tab ruler does not move. Am I doing anything wrong or is this something funky with InDesign? I basically need the tabs to space a bunch of UPC codes across the length of the text box. It's usless if the tab ruler does not stay with the text box - I have no way of knwing where to set the tabs. Thanks.

Pat

• 1. Re: Tab Ruler Issues with CS4
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

The tab ruler is really a separate window in the workspace and it never actually locks to the text frame. The little magnet will sanp it to the top of a frame, if the top is visible and there is sufficient space above it for the ruler, but it isn't locked.

• 2. Re: Tab Ruler Issues with CS4
            SJRiegel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Could you acomplish this by making a one-row table and centering one upc in each cell?

• 3. Re: Tab Ruler Issues with CS4
              Dallas2004 Level 1

Thanks for the info. Yea, I figured it was a separate window and playing with it for a few hours trying to figure this out. So how do you keep the tabs and tab ruler inline with the text box when you scroll to the left or right or zoom in and out? It seems to not snap to the box when zoomed in either. Very hit or miss with it even aligning to the text box. The tab ruler goes way off the page and I have to scroll just to try to get the icon to try to snap it to the text box. Works about 20% of the time, but when I scroll it's useless.

I might be able to use tables, but I won't have the control, I don't think. Basically I have either 17, 10, etc. UPC codes and text below it, to fit at different increments along a 24 or 44" long page. This will change all the time, depending on how big or small the article that the UPC represents is. So I have nested a EPS UPC code and a text box below it and pasted it into a text box. From that I change, add or subtract, them to get the amount of info I need per long text box or line. I figured it was easier to do it this way than to align the EPS and the text by itself each time a change is made, which is all the time.

Long story short - I have dozens of these files that people did in Freehand and it takes most of the day to fix or add to these files the way it is now. Each UPC code is placed/linked, and the text is by itself in a table below. So I am moving each by hand. Thought InDesign would be better. The size of these change a few times a month. Thanks.

Pat

• 4. Re: Tab Ruler Issues with CS4

When the Tab window is narrower thatn the frame (i.e. you've zoomed in, you can actually scroll it left and right. As you moive the cursor over the part of the ruler with the division marks it should change to a grabber hand and you can move the ruler. Not ideal, but better than nothing.

• 5. Re: Tab Ruler Issues with CS4
                  Dallas2004 Level 1

When moving or scrolling thru the tab ruler it is a pain to get it lined up with the actual ruler on the page so you know where you are, it seems anyway. Need to figure out a way to get around this so I can get everyone onboard in converting these out of Freehand - a program I have not used since version 7. I was appointed this task so I am in the cross hairs!

Is InDesign 5.5 any better with regards to the tab ruler?

Pat

• 6. Re: Tab Ruler Issues with CS4

Dallas2004 wrote:

Is InDesign 5.5 any better with regards to the tab ruler?

No.

You have to read the numbers to know where you are, and if you want 1-to-1 correspondence between the tabs ruler and the main rule, you need to set the zero point on the main ruler to the left edge of the column (including any frame inset).

• 7. Re: Tab Ruler Issues with CS4
                      Dallas2004 Level 1

Thanks for the info. I wil have to figure something out and show other's how to do it also.

I don't like Freehand, but wish InDesign had a tab/text ruler like what Freehand had instead of the Tab's in a separate box.

Pat