6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 18, 2012 5:30 AM by Rick Gerard

How do I quadruple my resolution for all comps?

ccaleb.kingston

Hi there,

I'm fairly new to Adobe After Effects but I created a video at 1080p for a company. The company wants to use a single frame in that video to wrap on a company vehicle. The problem is the resolution isn't big enough to fit on a giant hummer. I tried changing the composition settings in each comp but there are tons and resizing means I have to reposition etc. It's just not working out. Is there a way to just quadruple the resolution of the entire project and then save just a single image from that?

Thanks,

Caleb

• 1. Re: How do I quadruple my resolution for all comps?
          bogiesan Level 4

A pixel is a pixel. You can make the pixels larger but you can never get any more pixels than exist in the source media. If you start with DV at 720x480 pixels and place it into a 1080 comp, scaling it up just makes the pixels larger. There are some expensive magic plugins that will upscale or uprez. I've never used 'em.

If your movies and photographs are larger than 1080, you can make your comp that size and redesign all of your effects at that one instant in the comp you wish to make into a still image. But you've also got to eliminate all unwanted motion blur and other video-induced artifacts. If your source material is no larger than 1080, you can hire a Photoshop expert who understands how to do rescaling using resampling algorithms. That's a question for the Photoshop forum.

• 2. Re: How do I quadruple my resolution for all comps?
            ccaleb.kingston Level 1

Well, my composition mainly consists of Illustrator files with filters placed on them. My problem is all layers are comp'd at 1080 and when I scale main comp, everything else stays small, then I tried upscale each layer but not only is it time consuming, some layers appeared to be scaled up but still had a small black rectangle the size the 1080 comp used to be. I just wish there was a magic button to give me higher res of just one frame. I'm very new to after effects and just used a template. I can't recreate the effects and filters after effects has in this template.

• 3. Re: How do I quadruple my resolution for all comps?
              Dave LaRonde Level 6

ccaleb.kingston wrote:

Well, my composition mainly consists of Illustrator files with filters placed on them.

Well, there's that problem word, "mainly". 

If there's any bitmapped footage in the comp -- pictures, video -- scaling them up will look just ugly.  Solids could get ugly, too.  And since you're not well-versed in AE, you're in the unenviable position of not being able to tell people what's wrong in the arcane AE Lexicon, so it's tough to dope out what's causing the "black rectangle".

• 4. Re: How do I quadruple my resolution for all comps?
                bogiesan Level 4

Ah, okay, that's different. All of your AI layers will scale flawlessly as long as they are vectors. If they are not, you must go back to AI and redo each and every one of them to the new size.

Create a new comp that is as large as you think you want to print from. say, 4k x 3k or so.

Place your original comp inside it.

Scale the original up to fit, turn on continuous rasterization. That's all there is to it for your AI vector layers.

• 5. Re: How do I quadruple my resolution for all comps?
                  Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

I just wish there was a magic button to give me higher res of just one frame.

It doesn't exist. Despite what the others already said, this may be a hopeless case.

• The AI files may have been imported cropped to artboard size, hence they do not scale and expose the border.
                  • The AI files could have clipping masks.
                  • AI files can contain pixel data. placed images are just pixels and flattened appearances are converted to pixels, too.
                  • As you stated yourself, the AI files have filters applied, which makes them effectively pixel imagery. In order to size them up without loss of sharpness, they would have to be scaled in AI and the filter parameters. Otherwise they behave like any other ordinary pixel format.

Additionally, simply up-rezing the file still might not do you any good. For print, color management and ink separation still do matter and quadrupling the resolution may not even be enough. Furthemore, chances are you are conna need a die line for the lasercut. The only logical conclusion therfore must be, that you really, realyl should work in AI. If half your sources already are AI or PDF files, it's a simple matter of common sense...

Mylenium

• 6. Re: How do I quadruple my resolution for all comps?
                    Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

There is a script included with AE that will resize your comps. Go to File>Script and you will find it. Simply run the scale comp script, pick the new width, then check the comp and see how it holds up. You might get lucky and be fine. You may have to only redo a few. You may have to completely recreate the footage, but you'll be starting with a comp that's the right size.

Make sure you check with the folks doing the wrap to get their preferred image resolution. I suspect that it is around 50 to 90 ppi. A car is about 20' long so that would be 20X12X50 = 12,000 pixels wide minimum.

Good luck. If you go ahead with the project please post a shot of the vehicle.  I'd love to see it.

Sent from my phone.