11 Replies Latest reply on Feb 20, 2012 10:10 AM by Jim Curtis

choppy playback video?

kingdomofsolomon Level 1

Hi everyone,

I am editing DSLR videos in 3 layer, and I am importing a 1920x1080 animation video on top of DSLR video but when it gets to the animation part it get very choppy playback.

My system is:

Asus Rampage Extreme iii

CPU i7 980X Extreme

Ram 24GB DD3

GTX 480 1.5GB

SSD 60GB OS only

1TB HDD drive for archive

1TB HDD drive for footage

Corsair H80 Hydro Series H80 Liquid CPU Cooler

Coolermaster HAF 932 Advanced Case

Thanks in advance for any help and recommendation

• 1. Re: choppy playback video?
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>animation video

What codec... and is the video size the same as your project?

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: choppy playback video?
            Todd_Kopriva Level 8

What version of Premiere Pro? (I.e., have you installed the most recent updates?)

http://adobe.ly/lsrkmJ

Can you render a preview file for the problematic area and get smooth playback?

• 3. Re: choppy playback video?
              kingdomofsolomon Level 1

I dont really know what codec it is, but yes its the same as my project setting which is 1920x1080p...

I am using Premiere Pro CS5 and I have most recent updated installed, however there is not render required because the line on my time line is not red, but when it get to these animation it gets very choppy and its not watch able... I thought its some think with my graphic card but I worked with all my DSLR camera footage and they work fine and I decided not to use these animation.

Now I imported another animation same size 1920x1080p and its choppy same think I dont really know whats the problem is.

Thank you kindly for any help that can be provided here.

Bashir

• 4. Re: choppy playback video?
                kingdomofsolomon Level 1

I have Premiere Pro CS5 5.0.3 update 394.4MB 12/7/2010, for my Premiere Pro CS5, I wanted to know as will is there why that I can make my Adobe from CS5 to CS5.5 with out reinstalling all the plugins and so on?

• 5. Re: choppy playback video?
                  Jim Curtis Level 3

kingdomofsolomon wrote:

I dont really know what codec it is,

That's your problem.  You need to know, if you want an answer. 

It may be that the codec is uncompressed or exceeds the capability of your system to play back.  Select the clip, right-click and select Properties.  Then look for Compressor.  That should tell you the codec.

• 6. Re: choppy playback video?
                    John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>dont really know what codec

Read Bill Hunt on a file type as WRAPPER http://forums.adobe.com/thread/440037

What is a CODEC... a Primer http://forums.adobe.com/thread/546811

What CODEC is INSIDE that file? http://forums.adobe.com/thread/440037

Report back with the codec details of your file, use the programs below... a screen shot works well to SHOW people what you are doing

For PC http://www.headbands.com/gspot/ or http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en

For Mac http://mediainfo.massanti.com/

• 7. Re: choppy playback video?
                      kingdomofsolomon Level 1

This is all the detial about this clip i am importing to my project...

File Size: 76.4 MB

Image Size: 1920 x 1080

Pixel Depth: 24

Frame Rate: 29.97

Total Duration: 00:00:12:24

Average Data Rate: 6.0 MB / second

Pixel Aspect Ratio: 1.0

Created with: Adobe After Effects 9.0.2

QuickTime Details:

Movie contains 1 video track(s), 0 audio track(s) and 0 timecode track(s).

Video:

There are 384 frames with a duration of 1/29.97th.

Video track 1:

Duration is 0:00:12:24

Average frame rate is 29.98 fps

Video track 1 contains 1 type(s) of video data:

Video data block #1:

Frame Size = 1920 x 1080

Compressor = JPEG 2000

Quality = Most (5.00)

Now even if its compressed or uncompressed, dosnt my system handle it? is'nt it good enough, and what do I need so that handle it smother.

by the way what is the best software for compassing video like DV, HD, 4K? and if I compasse them would I lose quaility?

Thank you very much

• 8. Re: choppy playback video?
                        Jim Curtis Level 3

Now, we're getting somewhere.  Your codec is JPEG 2000.  Data rate is 6 MB/s.  That's not too bad of itself.  JPEG 2000 is scalable, meaning it can be encoded with a lot of compression or a little.  The less the compression, the higher data rate, and the harder it is to play it from a disk.

But, probably what's happening is when you add it as your fourth layer,it's exceeding your single 1TB hard drive's ability to play back all four streams in real-time.  You can either render (Preview) your Sequence to a codec that can handle real-time playback (something compressed), or get more drives and/or a RAID for faster disk reads.

• 9. Re: choppy playback video?
                          kingdomofsolomon Level 1

So this problem is because of the disk read? that mean I need to get fast disk read... any idea what kind of hard drive is best for HD & 4K.

I'm kind of thinking getting mini G-tech Hard drive....

• 10. Re: choppy playback video?
                            kingdomofsolomon Level 1

Thinking of getting this, if it makes all my projects work and play smother

http://www.ebuyer.com/239623-hitachi-4tb-g-tech-g-raid-gen4-external-hard-drive-2-bays-0g0 0274

• 11. Re: choppy playback video?
                              Jim Curtis Level 3

That drive will work best for video editing compressed HD with the eSATA interface.  FW800 would also give you a few HD streams.  But, if you use the USB2 or FW400 interface, you're not going to be much better off than using your single drive.  That's called a "bottleneck."

Here's what you need to find out: 

1. Estimate what the data-rate is for the footage you want to use.  There are "data-rate calculators" all over the internet.  Use Google.

2. Mulitply that data rate times the number of layers you want to play simultaneously in real-time.

3. Install a drive AND interface combiniation that exceeds the "Sustained Data Transfer Rate" for the number you came up with in #2.

Then, if you drop frames, it's not because of your drive (array); it's due to puny CPU or some other factor. 

Some codecs strain the CPU more than others.  Long-GOP codecs require more decoding to play back than intraframe codecs.  Most DSLR footage is Long-GOP, and some flavors of it take 100% of all eight of the 3GHz cores in my MacPro to play back one stream.  2 or 3 is out of the question, no matter how fast my RAID is. 

So, it may be that drive speed isn't your problem... you may have just maxed out your CPU's ability to decode that many streams of video in real-time.

But, if you do the math I just suggested, you can determine whether your drive is the issue.

1 person found this helpful