12 Replies Latest reply on Feb 18, 2012 10:13 AM by Noel Carboni

Need help with image sizing/resizing

easelpad1

I need to make some new images for a jcarousel we've just coded into one of our sites. I have a number of existing images and logos that I need to drop into a 150 x 94 px size - I have a lot of these to convert.

What is the best (easiest) way to do this - they are all different sizes and formats. We'd like to end up with either gifs or pngs - if we make sprites we would need to keep the canvas size the same but knock the image size down to 150 x 47.

Thanks for any help in advance.

• 1. Re: Need help with image sizing/resizing
          D Fosse Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Are they different aspect ratios as well? Then you need to decide how to deal with that first. You can't squeeze a 4:3 image into a 3:2 frame without distorting it, or crop out parts, or leave borders. Those are your three options.

Automating the resize itself is no problem - record an action using File > Automate > Fit Image, and run in a batch.

• 2. Re: Need help with image sizing/resizing
            Noel Carboni Level 8

Considering that you may have to crop the images, I might suggest setting the Crop Tool to 150 px by 94 px and record an action that has one crop step in it.  Then run the action from the Image Processor and have it stop every time to allow you to pick the best crop for each image, after which you would hit the run button again in the ACTIONS panel to get it to move onto the next one.  You could get into a nice rhythm...

-Noel

• 3. Re: Need help with image sizing/resizing

Image Processor doesn't do PNG or GIF. You need Russell Brown's Image Processor Pro for that, so that's why I suggested batch.

• 4. Re: Need help with image sizing/resizing
                Noel Carboni Level 8

Wow, I learn something new every day.  I didn't know that, as I've never tried to open PNG or GIF with it!  Thanks for setting me straight, Dag, and my apologies to easelpad1 if I've confused things any.

-Noel

• 5. Re: Need help with image sizing/resizing

Well, once you've tried Dr. Brown's, you tend to forget the regular Image Processor ever existed

• 6. Re: Need help with image sizing/resizing
                    Noel Carboni Level 8

Actually, it was more a matter of misreading the original post; I thought it implied PNGs and GIFs were input.  I just naturally think of publishing JPEGs as output for the web, because they can do things like carry color profiles.

Off to try Russell's script...

-Noel

• 7. Re: Need help with image sizing/resizing

Actually there is still one limitation with it: you can only run one action per file format output. Of course you can have nested actions, but that means you have to record super-actions just for use with the script (which is what I have done).

• 8. Re: Need help with image sizing/resizing
                        Paulo Skylar Level 4

Noel Carboni wrote:

.........I thought it implied PNGs and GIFs were input.  I just naturally think of publishing JPEGs as output for the web, because they can do things like carry color profiles.

-Noel

Not sure what you meant exactly, but both PNG and GIF (modern version) files can have ICC profiles embedded.

Paulo

• 9. Re: Need help with image sizing/resizing

The Photoshop implementation of PNG is a strange animal.

If you use Save For Web, the profile is stripped - no choice, no checkbox.

If you use Save As, the profile is embedded - again no choice, but there is a checkbox which is grayed out and unchecked. So it's totally misleading. The profile is there.

• 10. Re: Need help with image sizing/resizing
                            easelpad1 Level 1

OK - so let me restate: I need to take a bunch of existing images - in a number of different formats and put them into exactly 150 x 47 size format, in as small a size KB as possible - they can end up as pngs, gifs, etc - I don't care. But they a: have to retain the "look" - I can crop or stretch them to fit; b: this has to be relatively easy as I have close to a couple hundred I need to work on.

There can be no cropping or chaning of the original image - some of these are logos of our strategic partners we are pushing to a jquery carosel for web.

A few of them came in as sprites (150 x 94) - one full color image on top of one BW - I've cropped out the second image (BW) so they scaled to 150 x 47 and work beautifully - it's the rest of them that are various formats and sizes I need to work on. For clarity many of those were 150 x 94 2 image sprites that I cropped the second image out of creating a perfect 150 x 47 size.

So, what's the recommended tool or process? Thanks.

This is kind of urgent so thanks for any help in advance.

• 11. Re: Need help with image sizing/resizing

I must confess I have no clue what a sprite is. And it's still not clear whether all the images, when scaled down to 150 px in one direction, will actually fit to 47 px in the other.

File > Automat > Fit Image will nail the 150 px side, say horizontally.

As for the vertical size, if the resized result is not 47 px, Canvas Size will either crop or leave borders. Image Size, with constrain proportions unchecked, will stretch or squeeze to 47 px.

Put these in an action, and run File > Automate > Batch.

If you want to export using Save For Web, put that in the action and set Batch output destination to "none".

• 12. Re: Need help with image sizing/resizing
                                Noel Carboni Level 8

D Fosse wrote:

If you use Save As, the profile is embedded - again no choice, but there is a checkbox which is grayed out and unchecked. So it's totally misleading. The profile is there.

Thank you, Dag!  That I did not know - I was trusting what I saw on the screen, and I didn't do any specific testing.

-Noel