5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 23, 2012 9:01 AM by Steve Grisetti

best HD cam and mic combo?

Paul51639 Level 1

Creating some training videos for work and just found out that they are willing to spend about $2,500 for some newer equiptment but I have to recommend specific equipment very soon. I do the editing on my 2.2 Ghz quad core with premiere el. Can someone offer suggestion? Dont have to use the whole budget but particularly want to improve the audio. Of course work flow matters so a cam that plays nice with pre el would be great. Thanks for any suggestions!

• 1. Re: best HD cam and mic combo?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I'd look at a Sony or Canon AVCHD camcorder with an external microphone jack. (Not easy to find anymore!)

Then it's up to you whether you want to work with a wireless or wired microphone and how much you want to spend. You can get a decent wired mike for under $100 and a wireless for between $100 and $200. Or you can spend thousands for pro equipment.

There is no easy answer. It depends on how much you want to spend -- and even then there are hundreds of options that will work.

• 2. Re: best HD cam and mic combo?
            whsprague Level 4

Panasonic HDC-TM900K, currently about $720.  It has a built in 5.1 mic that can be controlled manually.  It also has an external mic jack for when you don't like the built in one.  And, the files it creates work fine with my PE 10.

• 3. Re: best HD cam and mic combo?
              BARAP12

I own a Sony HDR-XR550 and use a Sony ECM-CG50 Shotgun mic and love it. I pick it up 2 yrs ago and am also using a wide angle Sony VCL-HGA07 lens and never take it off.  I record a lot of live music and Formula 1 racing and the audio is flawless.  Just my .02$

• 4. Re: best HD cam and mic combo?
                Paul51639 Level 1

Thanks so much for all replies, is there any current model that excells at downconversion output for standard def videos?

• 5. Re: best HD cam and mic combo?
                  Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Tape-based HDV camcorders do the best job at this. Despite recording in hi-def, they give you the option of outputting it to your computer as hi-def or standard DV.

These cams are harder to find, since the public has come to embrace the convenience of AVCHD. But they can also be great buys, even used, and often do come with an external microphone jack.