3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 20, 2012 11:05 AM by Dan Macy

Running header with text that isn't displayed

Dan Macy Level 1

I have a table with a number of rows, each one for a different product. Each product has a product type. The product type isn't displayed anywhere in the row. But I want to use the product type in a running header on the master page. Is there a way to make text hidden so it can be picked up by the running header variable but not displayed in the cell where it's defined? Or is there another way to accomplish what I'm trying to do?

I'm generating the table by a program, so it's easy to add the product type with a character style to the text of the first cell in each row. I just don't want the product type portion of the first cell to display.

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Running header with text that isn't displayed
          Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

I have sometimes a similliar problem. I use a paragraph style without and font color. This is found in Id (and can be showing during the work by changing the font color to some other visible color), but not printed.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Running header with text that isn't displayed
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Unlike a TOC which can pick up non-printing text, I don't believe a variable will do that, so using Willi's method to make it invisible makes sense. I would go a bit further, though, I think, and put the information into an anchored object in one of the cells. Set the positioning to custom so it has no effect on text flow.

I would also define an object style for these anchored frames that has both a positioning definition for the anchored object, so you don't need to do that continuously, and the the correct assigned paragraph or character style to be picked up by the variable. During the editing phase I would define this text as red, or some other contrasting color so you know you will see it if it's present, and will be able to spot when it's missing, and then change the style definition to give the text a fill of [None] just before output.

• 3. Re: Running header with text that isn't displayed
              Dan Macy Level 1

Both of you have given helpful suggestions, just what I was looking for. Thanks very much!