Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to create a read-only PDF ?

Explorer ,
Feb 18, 2012 Feb 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

This seems like a simple question. Using Acrobat X, I want to create a read-only PDF.  After several hours of searching, I haven't found out how to do this.

First, I'm aware that various tools can be used to open up secured PDF documents, so I don't need to know more about those tools and the inherent vulnerabilities of PDF documents.

I've created a PDF document that has password security, with the following not allowed:

• Changing the document
  • Document assembly
  • Content copying
  • Content copying for accessibility
  • Page extraction
  • Filling of form fields
  • Signing
  • Creation of template pages

Only printing and commenting are allowed.

When I open up my document in Reader or Acrobat, the Save icon (the floppy disk symbol) is enabled (not grayed out) and File > Save is selectable.   I want the Save icon grayed out and I want the Save selection (as in File > Save) also grayed out.  How do I do this?

I realize that the user can do a "Save as" or "Save a copy", that's fine, I just don't want the original copy overwritten in any manner.

BTW, I do have embedded JavaScript in the document, if that allows me to use a JavaScript call of some type to achieve this.

To see how others do this, I downloaded a PDF document from some company's website that is truly read-only (the Save icon is grayed out and File>Save is also grayed out, in Acrobat), so I know this can be done.  This particular document also had password security but with a more "liberal" policy than mine, e.g. it allowed content copying and content copying for accessiblity in addition to what my document allows.  Yet, despite these additional capabilities, it is somehow read-only.

Thanks for any help anyone can provide in helping me create a read-only PDF !!

Dave

TOPICS
Acrobat SDK and JavaScript

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Feb 18, 2012 Feb 18, 2012

You enabled commenting – which is a modification to the document, thus allowing saving. Turn off that option and you won’t allow saving either.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You enabled commenting – which is a modification to the document, thus allowing saving. Turn off that option and you won’t allow saving either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks, Irosenth, for the suggestion.  As I mentioned in my post, I downloaded a document from some company's website that appeared to have the features I wanted -- it had all of my permissions (including allowing commenting) yet it doesn't allow saving, neither via the floppy disk Save icon nor via File > Save.  That's what I wanted to duplicate.

However, as soon as I added a comment to the downloaded document, both save methods immediately showed up (became ungrayed).  So, you're 100% correct -- as long as I allow commenting, Reader and Acrobat will allow the document to be saved after it's been modified.

So, I thought I'd try going outside of Reader/Acrobat and set the Windows property of the file to Read-only (by right-clicking the file in Windows Explorer, selecting Properties, and then checking the Read-only box).  Then, after adding a comment to the PDF file and trying to save it, Adobe Acrobat said:

The document could not be saved.  The file may be read-only, or another user
    may have it open.  Please save the document with a different name or in a
    different folder.

I think this achieves what I want -- the user can't save it (modify it), at least accidentally, which is all I care about.  If he wants to go into the Windows property and clear the Read-only box, that's fine.  However, because of how I'm using commenting, I don't want him to unintentionally (inadvertently) modify the document.

If you're aware of any possible "unintended consequences" from making the file read-only via Windows, please let me know.

Thanks again for your help!

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines