13 Replies Latest reply on Dec 13, 2015 11:00 AM by mahilinib30

Digital Editions Is Not Deleting Files Properly

Fred011

I use Digital Editions to load borrowed library Ebooks onto my Nook reader as well as "returning" those books and then deleting them from my Nook. However, when I delete Ebooks, Digital Editions still leaves EPUB and ANNOT files associated with the books in the My Documents/My Digital Editions folder on my PC. I contacted Adobe technical support online chat to ask if those files should be automatically deleted from the PC by Digital Editions when books were deleted from the Nook and was told that the files on the PC would "get deleted in a few days." I told the support rep that I had files on the PC from deleted books that were a couple of months old. I asked the tech rep is perhaps I was doing something wrong in my sequence of: "returning" the book, then deleting the book in the library list in Digital Editions and then pointing to the Nook in Digital Editions and deleting the book there as well.  The tech rep then gave me a link to this forum to solve Digital Editions problems.  Not much help from him!  Now I am faced with an Adobe tech rep telling me that the EPUB and ANNOT files should be automatically deleted from the PC, but the files not being deleted.  He offered no explanation of what I might be doing wrong, but sent me here to find a solution.  Does anyone have any suggestion why my Digital Editions is not automatically deleting files as Adobe rep said it should?

Also, are there any Adobe tech folks monitoring this forum who might help clarify the issue?

• 1. Re: Digital Editions Is Not Deleting Files Properly
          Jim_Lester Level 4

ADE doesn't delete the files (either the document itself, the thumbnails, or the annots) ever.  That's up to you.

• 2. Re: Digital Editions Is Not Deleting Files Properly
            Fred011 Level 1

Thanks Jim.  I guess it was the Adobe tech rep that threw me for a loop.  You'd think they would know what the program is supposed to do.

Since I can see no reason to keep files for deleted and "returned" books, I wonder how one goes about making suggestions to Adobe to include the deletion of files added to the PC when the books are deleted from the library.

• 3. Re: Digital Editions Is Not Deleting Files Properly
              cje20

I'm late to this thread but I had the same question as the original poster. After reading your answer, I was wondering if you knew the reasoning behind Adobe's decision to never delete the files from the hard disk. Just curious.

Thanks,

Cliff

• 4. Re: Digital Editions Is Not Deleting Files Properly
                Fred011 Level 1

Unfortunately, I have no idea why nothing is deleted from the drive by Adobe.  I do know that the answer given to the other poster was incorrect when Adobe claimed the files would be deleted "in a few days."

• 5. Re: Digital Editions Is Not Deleting Files Properly
                  Jim_Lester Level 4

It was a safety measure: disk space is cheap, documents aren't.

• 6. Re: Digital Editions Is Not Deleting Files Properly
                    Fred011 Level 1

That my very well be true, but it still doesn't negate the fact that the Adobe Tech. Rep. said that the files would be deleted "in a few days."

I don't have a problem with deleting the files myself if I choose to, but I think the original question was why didn't Adobe do it automatically when items were "returned" or "deleted" and the answer was not related to position of it being a "safety measure."

I think by now we all know the files stay and it is up to us to delete.

• 7. Re: Digital Editions Is Not Deleting Files Properly
                      cje20 Level 1

Thanks for the reply.

However, I have a small problem with your answer. When you return a library book, the book becomes 'expired' in the ADE library/bookshelf and cannot be opened and read. The only way to read the book again would be to borrow it again from a library or buy the book. Would this not put a second copy of the book in the ADE library/bookshelf? Seems a bit redundant to me.

Thanks again for your reply,

Cliff

• 8. Re: Digital Editions Is Not Deleting Files Properly
                        Fred011 Level 1

I've never borrowed the same book again in EPUB format or even "renewed" an EPUB library book that I still had loaded on my reader, so I can't say exactly what would happen under those circumstances. I would assume that two copies would be on the disk if you bought the book or borrowed it again at a later date.  What would happen if you "renewed" a library book that had not quite yet expired (if your library even allowed that) is something I wouldn't even guess about.  Of course, if you "deleted" or "returned" the book via ADE the listing on the bookshelf would disappear even though the disk copy would still be there.

What the "small problem" with my answer might be I won't guess at either.

• 9. Re: Digital Editions Is Not Deleting Files Properly
                          cje20 Level 1

Fred011,

Sorry about that, my reply was intended for Jim_Lester. These forums (fora?) don't thread very well.

Jim said "It was a safety measure: disk space is cheap, documents aren't." and I just was trying to point out that when you return a library book you can no longer open it. Therefore, what is the point of keeping it on your hard disk.

Cliff

• 10. Re: Digital Editions Is Not Deleting Files Properly
                            Fred011 Level 1

Cliff,

OK.... gotcha'.  We're in sync now.

Agreed.  If you return and/or delete, you don't want the file any longer so the "safety" of keeping a file on disk is counter to your intentions.

Fred

• 11. Re: Digital Editions Is Not Deleting Files Properly
                              kathlin409

Really late to convo. Why can't Adobe do what Overdrive does on my ipad which is give an option of RETURN AND DELETE. How can I contact Adobe and give them some suggestions for improvements?

• 12. Re: Digital Editions Is Not Deleting Files Properly
                                Fred011 Level 1

I really don't think it's a matter of can't: I think that they just aren't doing that much with the application.  As I mentioned in my original post, I contacted the onlie support chat which resulted in a less than accurate answer.  Perhaps if they are contacted enough, they might actually incorporate what we have been discussing (i.e. delteting the book from the drive.)

I've learned to live with the minor inconvenience of manually deleting books and just do some "housekeeping" every so often.  I think most of us would appreciate the automatic deletion from disk when we delete a book.  I still find the process via ADE easier than sideloading and deleteing books.

Please update us if you do contact Adobe and get any new information pertaining to the status of any possible automatic delete feature in future releases.

• 13. Re: Digital Editions Is Not Deleting Files Properly
                                  mahilinib30

i have borrowed a book but coudnt download properly so I deleted in from Adobe digital app in my iPad ...when I'm trying again the open library shows as "u have already burrowed" ... What should I do to download that book again (burrow) . . Iits not showing in the Adobe digital editions application