8 Replies Latest reply on Feb 18, 2012 2:36 PM by Peter Spier

Why do psd files at effective ppi of 909 look so bad? CS4

Paul R Stark Level 1

I have the perfect image for my project. It's a 300 ppi image that looks great in PS, but when placed in ID and scaled to 33% of original size, it looks horrible--even before scaling. Never had this issue before

Confused

Here are the screenshots:

In PS

In PS.JPG

Same psd file in ID @ 909 effective ppi

In ID.JPG

It's not that I'm not using High Quality Display. Tried that. Besides, every other image looks good.

Thanks everyone.

Paul

• 1. Re: Why do psd files at effective ppi of 909 look so bad? CS4
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Make sure if Allow Object Level Display Settings is checked under View > Display Performance set to High Quality Display  you have the object level setting (right click the image and choose Display Performance) set to High Quality Display or if set to Use View Setting, make sure that View > Display Performance is set to High Quality Display (the defualt is Typical). If object level display is not enabled, change the view setting to High Quality to control all previews.

The other possibility is the link needs to be updated.

• 2. Re: Why do psd files at effective ppi of 909 look so bad? CS4
            Paul R Stark Level 1

I made the changes. Here's the results.

In PS                                                                           ID file with your recommended changes

In PS.JPGIn ID-4.JPG

A definite improvment, but not as good. Compare the two below using your same recommended ID settings, also 300 ppi.

In PS                                                                                ID file with your recommended changes

Lost PS.JPGLost ID.JPG

To the naked eye, the ID file looks even sharper to me in the second example. Not so in the first. Perhaps there's something else I'm missing? Is it the scaling down?

Thx.

Paul

• 3. Re: Why do psd files at effective ppi of 909 look so bad? CS4
              John Hawkinson Level 5

InDesign's screen previews are never perfect, even at High Quality Display.

If your concern is final output, judge from exporting to a PDF and viewing in Acrobat, or from printing to your printer (depending on how you will be outputting your work).

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Why do psd files at effective ppi of 909 look so bad? CS4

What John said.

In Photoshop you are looking at the actual image pixels, and at any multiple of 100% you will see and uninterpolated image. In ID you are looking at a jpeg compressed (I believe) screen preview. If the original image is saved at 72 ppi, the preview is likely to be nearly identical, anything higher and you will see some compression and downsampling in the preview.

• 5. Re: Why do psd files at effective ppi of 909 look so bad? CS4
                  Paul R Stark Level 1

In PS                                                                                                In exported PDF

In PS.JPGID PDF.JPG

That's better. Not identical to PS, but I got the idea now.

Thanks, guys.

Paul

• 6. Re: Why do psd files at effective ppi of 909 look so bad? CS4

Your exported PD probably is downsampling to 300 PPI for images over 450, right? And you may have jpeg compression enabled as well? The zoom level on Acrobat will also affect the appearance there. The proof of the pudding, so to speak, is in the print.

• 7. Re: Why do psd files at effective ppi of 909 look so bad? CS4
                      Paul R Stark Level 1

Got it!

But what I’m not sure you're saying is if I should increase the downsampling size for images over 300? And that raises another question. I’m almost ready to send the PDF to a printer. Is it strongly recommended to see a print sample before ordering?

Many thanks.

• 8. Re: Why do psd files at effective ppi of 909 look so bad? CS4

I think we've already mentioned that there is no benefit to sending more image data than the RIP requires for the size and linescreen chosen (300 ppi is a rule of thumb that is good up to 150 lpi, or even 200 lpi in a pinch, which is getting into coffee table art book territory), so you waon't get any improvement in print out of increasing the threshold.

ALWAYS get a contract proof on any print run that costs more than a few dollars.