5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 18, 2012 11:45 AM by Chris Cox

Photoshop has stopped working

overpow3rd

Hello,

I (obviously) have a problem with Photoshop CS5. I used it fairly often without any problems whatsoever, but today, I installed Adobe Illustrator CS5. The installation required Photoshop to be closed, so I closed it, installed Illustrator, used it for a while, and then opened my previous Photoshop project. The program loaded up, looked functional for a second, and then "stopped working". So I loaded Photoshop without any file opened, just photoshop.exe, and its the same problem. Illustrator still works normally.

So I started googling the problem and tried a lot of things. I uninstalled nVidia graphic-card drivers, driver sweeper-ed it, installed them again, updated Windows updates etc. but the problem is still there. Many suggested in other threads that increasing RAM limit in preferences inside the program or something like that would help, but I cannot do that, because the program stops working immediately. I am 100% sure that the problem was caused by installation of Illustrator, but I have no idea what to do.

Here is log from event viewer, looks like file named "kernelbase.dll" is the problem. I googled that as well, I always do before making new threads, but I didnt find anything that would help. Its in Czech, but I am sure you will understand it if you compare it to English even viewer log.

"Název chybující aplikace: Photoshop.exe, verze: 12.0.0.0, časové razítko: 0x4b504eff

Název chybujícího modulu: KERNELBASE.dll, verze: 6.1.7601.17651, časové razítko: 0x4e211319

Kód výjimky: 0xc06d007f

Posun chyby: 0x0000b9bc

ID chybujícího procesu: 0x1784

Čas spuštění chybující aplikace: 0x01ccee54e50478e4

Cesta k chybující aplikaci: D:\Programy\Photoshop\Adobe Photoshop CS5\Photoshop.exe

Cesta k chybujícímu modulu: C:\Windows\syswow64\KERNELBASE.dll

ID zprávy: 260b959f-5a48-11e1-a9c1-6c626d5b91ab"

Also,  when reading another threads, many suggested to update Photoshop. I didnt do that for a while, but not only I doubt it will help, but also I dont know how to do that. I cant find downloadable updates on main site and the other way to update, through Photoshop, is obviously not possible because the program stops working.

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Photoshop has stopped working
          c.pfaffenbichler Level 9

Boilerplate-text:

Have you performed the usual trouble-shooting routines (trashing prefs by keeping command-alt-shift/ctrl-alt-shift pressed while starting Photoshop, 3rd party plug-ins deactivation, system maintenance, font validation, etc.)?

• 2. Re: Photoshop has stopped working
            Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

I tend to think that your AI install has messed with some shared libraries e.g. for PDF handling. This might also have some ill effect on Acrobat/ Adobe Reader. in that case, you should consider running the Creative Suite Cleaner Tool and reinstall everything from scratch and only then start applying updates to all the programs.

Mylenium

• 3. Re: Photoshop has stopped working
              overpow3rd Level 1

for  c.pfaffenbichlertried: I tried ctrl+alt+shift and deactivating plugins, no effect at all.

for Mylenium: I do not have PS CS5 "installed" - I downloaded its files on internet because I lost my DVDs and just extracted it already installed. As the result, the Cleaner Tool doesnt recognize there is PS on the machine.

However, I uninstalled Illustrator - and it looks like PS works. Strange, but I want both installed and working

• 4. Re: Photoshop has stopped working
                Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

I downloaded its files on internet because I lost my DVDs and just extracted it already installed.

That might actually be the problem. It's possible your "portable" PS contains outdated path and configuration info. Therefore you might wanna try and download PS CS5 again as per these instructions and reinstall properly. This might take care of the issue and allow to use AI without problems while keeping PS intact.

Mylenium

• 5. Re: Photoshop has stopped working
                  Level 7

>> I downloaded its files on internet because I lost my DVDs and just extracted it already installed.

Then you're missing a lot of files and most likely just added malware to your system.

Many of those "portable" copies of Photoshop are distributed by organized crime groups that use it as a trojan horse to add malware to your system.

Plus you're running 12.0.0 instead of the current 12.0.4.