5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 18, 2012 11:43 AM by RjL190365

Laptop PC Capable of Recording HDMI Video

Taverino Level 2

Harm,

Do you still believe that laptops aren't capable of HDMI recording as you posted in the OnLocation forum over 4 years ago?

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/402671

If it is feasible with current laptops, are there applications that can manage the recording on the PC? I'm looking at dedicated HDMI field recorders, but shooting tethered to a laptop has a lot of appeal.

Thanks for the help.

• 1. Re: Laptop PC Capable of Recording HDMI Video
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Show me one laptop that is capable of a sustained transfer rate of 200+ MB/s on the storage disk(s), not the OS disk.

Why would you want that? As a replacement for HD-SDI, the poor man's solution with its limited cable length and flimsy connections? Why not simply copy the contents of your card based material?

Do you still believe that laptops aren't capable of HDMI recording as you posted in the OnLocation forum over 4 years ago?

In short, yes.

• 2. Re: Laptop PC Capable of Recording HDMI Video
            Jim_Simon Level 8

I'm looking at dedicated HDMI field recorders

There is dedicated hardware for this, smaller, lighter and with more battery life than a laptop.

Atomos Ninja and the Blackmagic HyperDeck Shuttle are two that come to mind.

• 3. Re: Laptop PC Capable of Recording HDMI Video
              Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The new Blackmagic HyperDeck Shuttle 2 is a real good solution in that it records uncompressed and can also do DNxHD compression. DNxHD is probably the closest that you can get to totally lossless and it gives you professional 10-bit quality with about 5 times the recording time that the uncompressed requires.

Message was edited by: Bill Gehrke

Oh, and I forgot to say that it has pass-through capability so you can monitor while recording.

• 4. Re: Laptop PC Capable of Recording HDMI Video
                Taverino Level 2

Thanks to all for the great advice. Any idea how well Premire Pro handles DNxHD? That is, can I use it natively and what is the performance like? 

• 5. Re: Laptop PC Capable of Recording HDMI Video
                  RjL190365 Level 4

Not very well, I'm afraid. The problem is QuickTime (or as Harm Millaard put it, "QuiRckTime"): That software is entirely 32-bit while Premiere Pro CS5.x is 64-bit. Worse, "QuiRckTime" produces a noticeable gamma shift on anything that goes through it (in addition to slowing down the performance of editing and exporting significantly). And DNxHD is almost always encoded with a MOV wrapper, which almost always implies that "QuiRckTime" is involved in the encoding.