7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 20, 2012 12:27 PM by the_wine_snob

Premiere crashes when saving

unionjackbell Level 1

I have tried to create a slide show with stills and music. I go through the whole process and try to save (save on pc or to dvd) and I get the little circle then the message that Adobe Premiere Elements has stopped working and needs to shut down. Is this a problem with Pre or is there an update that needs to be used. I have Pre Ele 4. Thanks.

• 1. Re: Premiere crashes when saving
          unionjackbell Level 1

I even tried to save it to disk the same thing happens. I was able to save it as a pre ele file to play back. I can't seem to set it to burn though. Don't know why it keeps crashing.

• 2. Re: Premiere crashes when saving
            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>slide show with stills

Photo Scaling for Video http://forums.adobe.com/thread/450798

-Too Large May = Crash http://forums.adobe.com/thread/879967

• 3. Re: Premiere crashes when saving
              unionjackbell Level 1

John am I correct in that your posts lead to the size of the photo as to why its crashing? I also have Adobe Photo Elements 6, can this do what your talking about? Then put them back into the project? It may take a lot of work but I guess that's what I will have to do. I was taking the picture with the 6mb setting to get a good quality. They are also used for photo albums. Thank you for your response.

• 4. Re: Premiere crashes when saving
                nealeh Level 5

The only PRE4 patches are for Camera Raw and are at http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=101&platform=Windows

The articles John links to explain in detail the image size issue but to summarise:

SD video is 720x480, (NTSC) 720x576 (PAL). So when you add a still using high pixel counts PRE has to reduce them to those dimensions. This process is high intensity and can cause PRE to fail.

Because of this it is a good idea, as described in the John's links, to resize the pictures before adding them to PRE. And, by doing this in a dedicated photo editing product (eg PSE), you will get a better down-rezzed image than using a video imaging program.

Hence the summary in those articles is to scale to 1000x750 which allows you a small overlap for positioning or Pan and Zoom. Note though that you cannot do extreme zooms with those images because they will blur. So for those images where you do want an extreme zoom you will need to use  a higher res image. You should be OK with just a few of those hi-res images in your project.

If you don't intend any zooms at all you will get best results by down-rezzing exactly to 720x480, (NTSC) 720x576 (PAL).

For HD similar principles apply but make the initial down-res 2000x1920.

Cheers,

--

Neale

Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 5. Re: Premiere crashes when saving
                  unionjackbell Level 1

Thank you Nealeh very much for your help. My only problem is now I have to change 40 to 50 pictures. Whew, I guess I need to get started. Is there a way to select multiple pictures and resize them all at once? Even if I couldn't do but maybe 10 at a time it would still help time wise. Thanks.

• 6. Re: Premiere crashes when saving
                    nealeh Level 5

Follow the first link John gave you. There are are illustrated instructions I made (at reply 37) on how to resize an entire batch of images..

Cheers,

--

Neale

Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 7. Re: Premiere crashes when saving
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

I will second - or "third" John T's link on Still Image Scaling.

Neale also gives great instructions on doing an Automate to Batch for entire folders - again, thanks Neale.

I use the Actions and Automate to Batch in Photoshop, and can Scale about 300 Still Images in one folder in seconds on my workstation. I just needed Neale's expertise to translate to PSElements, and his method will work about as quickly, in PSE.

Also, with the Scaling done in PS/PSE, before Import into PrE, the processing overhead will be greatly diminished, PLUS the quality of the resulting Scaling will be improved, as the Scaling algorithms in PS/PSE are better, than those in PrE.

Good luck, and please let us know if things improve.

Hunt