3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 19, 2012 6:31 AM by Noel Carboni

ACR 6.6 update for PSE 9

Becasine67

To quote the Adobe readme:

"Adobe® Photoshop® Camera Raw 6.6 Read Me

Installation

This new version of the Camera Raw plug-in replaces the original Camera Raw plug-in that was installed with Photoshop CS5, Photoshop Elements 9 and Premiere Elements 9."

I have PSE 9.0.3 with ACR 6.5.0.216 but I am looking to buy one of the cameras newly supported by ACR 6.6. From the Adobe readme, the ACR 6.6 is also for PSE 9.

I tried the update in PSE and it informed me there were no updates available. However, from the Adobe site, ACR 6.6 was also for PSE 9. I followed the instructions for manual installation and downloaded the zip file (for Windows - have Win 7 Pro fully updated).

The installer told me that "update not applicable".

Simple question:

Is the new version of ACR (6.6) available for PSE 9 or not?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: ACR 6.6 update for PSE 9
          Becasine67 Level 1

Update to this post:

I found the elements 9 and acr 6.6 thread and how to do the manual work around.

Adobe certainly aren't making themselves trying to force people to move to PSE 10. OK if they want to play that with PSE 12 but not with PSE 9!

• 2. Re: ACR 6.6 update for PSE 9
            ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Adobe only updates the supported version of each product, and once the new version is out the old version becomes unsupported relatively quickly.

• 3. Re: ACR 6.6 update for PSE 9
              Noel Carboni Level 7

Becasine67 wrote:

I am looking to buy one of the cameras newly supported by ACR 6.6
              Adobe certainly aren't making themselves trying to force people to move to PSE 10. OK if they want to play that with PSE 12 but not with PSE 9!

I'm not sure I understand your version 12 vs. 9 comment.

Regardless, in order to stay in business of COURSE they want to develop business practices to encourage people to purchase their newer versions of software!

You want to pay money to buy new camera technology but somehow you think you should not have to pay money to buy new software technology?  Why not?

Becasine67 wrote:

I found ... the manual work around.

As you appear to have found out, Adobe does provide everyone a (less convenient/integrated) free solution to allow you to continue to use your older software with newer cameras, via the DNG Converter application, the latest version of which you can freely download.

For what it's worth, I always buy the upgrades to the latest versions of Photoshop, but I once thought as you do - before I discovered Adobe's free DNG solution.

Happy raw converting!

-Noel