5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 19, 2012 7:19 PM by shooternz

How to make processed MXF Video files with Time Code available for Client Using Final Cut Pro

ronfab Level 1

Hello

I am coming from FCP to new hi performance Mac Pro and Premiere Pro 5.5 (production suite) editing system.  Last weekend I shot at 1080i 60 with a Sony PMW 320, plus real time back up files with a Nanoflash recorder at 50mbs....a 1 hour corporate awards program for a client.  He will be editing with FCP.  The CEO was bothered by the lights set up for the stage area and had them turned down much lower than they should have been.  Consequently I wound up shooting with considerably more gain than I wanted to use.  And I wound up with very noisy footage.  As I had read on line in several forums, and had seen impressive examples of the great noise reduction capabilities of the Neat Video software, I went ahead and purchased the Pro plug in for Premiere Pro to see what I could do with it first.  After a learning process and some rendering hours I was able to really clean it up and am very pleased with the results, and that I now have this in my effects panel with Premiere.

I used the Nanoflash files as they were a bit more robust with the frame rate and bump up to 4:2:2 codec from the 35mbs 4:2:0 codec with the camcorder's internal Sony SxS media system.  One problem with the Nanoflash though is I had the audio setting in the wrong mode and did not get audio recorded as well.  I figure this is not a huge problem as I'm assuming he can synch up the same captured time code from the SxS card and just use that audio, with the already processed video files from the Nanoflash on the same time line in FCP.

Please....my question is how can I get this hour of processed video footage and time code to him in a way that he can use it in FCP with the SxS files we will import for him as well?

Thanks very much

Ron

• 1. Re: How to make processed MXF Video files with Time Code available for Client Using Final Cut Pro
          Jim_Simon Level 8

I can't answer the question directly, but I can offer two alternative solutions.

First and simplest, have him to the Neat Video processing.  (This way it only needs to be done on the clips/segments actually used.)

Second, you do the syncing and when you export out your cleaned up video, include the audio.

• 2. Re: How to make processed MXF Video files with Time Code available for Client Using Final Cut Pro
            ronfab Level 1

Yes thanks for those ideas.  Trying to save him the long rendering times and trial and error with the Neat software.  First 3 clips had a lot of noise left on right side of the CEO's face and some other areas.  The 4th one nailed it, so I redid the others.

And please don't mock anyone...    .... but I am so new to Premiere that I haven't yet figured out why the audio isn't coming onto the time line also along with the video with the SxS clips.  I get the clip into the browser window and audio is there.  Then I hit the little insert or overwrite buttons to get it to time line.

I have also loaded some 1080 60P files fromn a Sony NEX 5N to test those out and the audio comes right along onto the time line. 

• 3. Re: How to make processed MXF Video files with Time Code available for Client Using Final Cut Pro
              shooternz Level 6

Supply him with movs or DNxHD files.

Of course it would have been easier to supply him with source files and do the clean up on only the files that made the edit in his system.

• 4. Re: How to make processed MXF Video files with Time Code available for Client Using Final Cut Pro
                ronfab Level 1

Are you saying export my processed video to .movs or DNxHD and give to him?  The terms are all new to me.  When I last edited with FCP it was with DVCam footage captured from the cassettes.  Would he be able to then import the audio from the SxS card and sync it on his time line with those kind of files?

Nothing was deleted....straight 1 hr 2 minute single take.... broken down to the smaller files both by the Nanoflash and the SxS card..  I would drop the soundtrack from SxS onto my time line and sync it up for him first with the noise processed Nano video files if I could figure out why it isn't following the video onto the time line?  Why does the 1080 60P codec from the Sony NEX 5N still camera bring the audio along automatically and the file fromn the Sony PMW 320 does not?  There must be a lot of EX1 and EX3 shooters here.  Please, what do I need to do with the buttons or targeting or settings for the 2 audio tracks on time line for those files to have the audio come along?  From the SxS files I imported, both the ones that say "CLPR" and right below that, "CUEUP.XML"  play the sound in the browser source window.

• 5. Re: How to make processed MXF Video files with Time Code available for Client Using Final Cut Pro
                  shooternz Level 6

Are you saying export my processed video to .movs or DNxHD and give to him?

Well I would do something like that myself because mxf can be a bit tricky and I do not know if FCP can handle them natively like the other 2.

Seeing as you have done some of his work for him already...you could  synch the audio up before giving him the fixed video.

BTW - you will be losing the source TC when you process your footage.

Something you probably should do ..is ask him what he wants from you.