6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 19, 2012 11:13 PM by Alan Craven

Premiere cs5 mercury engine will it work without any graphic card?

gigarigh

HI there I have core 2quad 6600 processor of 2.4ghz, and intel classic series fb33 motherboard, with only onboard video ram shared with physical ram of 2gb.

I want to install cs5 on 64bit OS and upgrade total ram to 8 gb without buying any graphic cards(right now). Qn is will I be able to edit avchd videos? will the

mercury engine still be enabled? I know its kinda "no budget, want all qn" Right now I dont wanna buy a card as am plannin to buy new system later..

Thanks

Gigarigh

• 1. Re: Premiere cs5 mercury engine will it work without any graphic card?
          Alan Craven Level 4

1.     Most likely no.  The rest of your system sounds too weak for editing AVCHD - if it works at all, it will be very slow and clunky

2.     Certainly no.  The Mercury engine is only available with NVidia graphics cards which have 1 Gb, or more, of on-board memory.  The exact figure is a little less than this, but in reality you will need a card with at least 1 GB.  Adobe publish a list of approved cards, but there is a well known hack which enables you to make any recent card work with the Mercury engine.

• 2. Re: Premiere cs5 mercury engine will it work without any graphic card?
            Harm Millaard Level 7

Alan,

Slight correction as Todd has explained. The Mercury Playback Engine will always be used, so yes, if CS5.x installs on a system, you will have MPE working.

However, if you do not have a supported or 'hacked' nVidia card with at least 1 GB VRAM, MPE will only run in software mode. Only with a supported or 'hacked' card can you enable hardware accelerated MPE.

Gigarigh, your system is too weak to edit AVCHD and it looks like a waste of money to invest in memory expansion to 8 GB, because it can not be ported to a new to build system. You can probably edit 'easy' codecs, like DV and maybe even HDV, but not complex codecs like AVCHD.

Have a look at some example setups: Adobe Forums: What PC to build? An update...

• 3. Re: Premiere cs5 mercury engine will it work without any graphic card?
              Alan Craven Level 4

Yes, of course, you are correct, Harm.  I was over-simplifying. 

I Took the OP's "enabled" to really mean "accelerated", and in that sense, it will not work as without the necessary graphics card there will be no acceleration.

I can certainly support your third paragraph, having just moved from a four-year-old system with a quad 3 GHz processor, 8 GB of RAM and a hacked 460 GTX graphics card, to a Sandy Bridge E system with a 3930 CPU, 32 GB of RAM but the same graphics card and HDD set up (for the moment). Your oft stated "molasses in winter" describes my old system pretty well from my present viewpoint!

The old system coped with the fairly gentle HDV, provided I kept the number of assets down, but threw a hissy fit if I tried 1920 HD, even with the Matrox (I know, I know!) I-frame codec.

Gigarigh,

You would be better off upgrading along my path - motherboard and processor first, using as much as you can of your old system for now, as this allows much better scope for future upgrading.

• 4. Re: Premiere cs5 mercury engine will it work without any graphic card?
                Todd_Kopriva Level 8

As Harm says, it's important to understand what "Mercury Playback Engine" means. This refers to all of the performance enhancements made in Premiere Pro CS5 and beyond, namely these:

- multithreaded application

- 64-bit application

- GPU acceleration of some things with specific graphics cards

So, yes, you will be able to take advantage of the first two of these without a specific card.

See this article for more details about Mercury and CUDA.

• 5. Re: Premiere cs5 mercury engine will it work without any graphic card?
                  Jim_Simon Level 8

I Took the OP's "enabled" to really mean "accelerated"

Most of us do as well, Alan.

Like it or not, a Kleenex means a facial tissue, regardless of the brand.  Aspirin means something to relieve a headache, even if it's not actually acetylsalicylic acid.  And whether Adobe likes it or not, MPE in common usage really means "hardware acceleration".