8 Replies Latest reply on Feb 21, 2012 7:29 AM by the_wine_snob

Red eye problems

johnedwards626626

Hi I'm new to this forum and an absolute beginner so please bear with me.

I would like to ask if anybody has a solution to the following problem.

I am working with Adobe Premier Elements 9 on a 2010 iMac running Mac OSX 10.6.8.

I always have a problem with the eyes of my Siamese cats. They have beautiful blue eyes with the usual black iris. Under flash photography they turn completely pink. Not red but pink. I have tried correcting this using the red eye reducter but it really looks terrible. Giving just a black blob on the eye, making it look dead. In one case the black dot even refused to stay on the eye and instead jumped to my wifes red finger nail. She is holding the cat.

Any ideas gratefully received and will be tried.

Thanks in advance.

John.

• 1. Re: Red eye problems
          nealeh Level 5

You need the Photoshop Elements forum for assistance with editing still images..

Cheers,

--

Neale

Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 2. Re: Red eye problems
            johnedwards626626 Level 1

Thanks Neale. I said I am beginner. That comes with posting in the wrong place. I shall now try and move my post.

Regards.

John.

ps. I don't have any children. But the old Alzheimer's light still seems to cause a problem from time to time.

• 3. Re: Red eye problems
              nealeh Level 5

Navigating the Adobe Forums can sometimes be a challenge . I prefer shooting (photographically) my cats with a bounced flash to reduce the flash reflections. If that doesn't work I'll edit the eyes manually. The PSE forum folk will be able to take you through the process.

And, as I'm writing this, I have a vague recollection of a new pet photo feature in v10 - I'll see if I can track it down.

Cheers,

--

Neale

• 4. Re: Red eye problems

Thanks Neale.

Problem is the Siamese are long gone.

It's just that I am scanning in all my old photos to the computer now and realise just how bad they are.

At 6"x8" OK perhaps. But full screen……….

With todays camera a Lumix G2 I would take far more care with the flash effects.

I will of course look at anything that comes up from this enquiry.

There are others who are offering advice so I am sure I will reach a conclusion that will be a big improvement.

Thanks again.

John.

• 5. Re: Red eye problems
                  nealeh Level 5

The pet feature I was thinking of is not in PRE but in a point & shoot camera I got last year.

For your editing though the following search gives a fair number of pet eye fixes:

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=photoshop+elements+pet+edit

Cheers,

--

Neale

• 6. Re: Red eye problems
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

The problem with the iris of most animal eyes, is slightly different, than with human eyes.

There are several tutorials for feline eyes, and the correction techniques for Photoshop (should be identical, or nearly so with PSElements). I think that Dr. Russell Brown (The Russell Brown Show), has at least one, and Dr. Brown is great with his tutorials.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Red eye problems

Bill thank you.

I have looked at one tutorial that somebody else passed on. The problem is that the whole eye goes pink with the Siamese. It is not just a case of selecting the iris and correcting that. It's almost as though one needs to rebuild the whole eye!

I will check with Dr Russell Brown and post if I find an answer that suits my problem.

Thanks again

John.

• 8. Re: Red eye problems
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

John,

You are correct in that feline (and canine) eyes show up differently on film (or digital), than do human/primate eyes.

There was a tutorial, or at least a long discussion on the Photoshop forum, from some years ago, on how best to "recreate" the feline eyes, but I cannot find the one that I recall (my memory is just getting too cloudy, sort of like the eyes on my older Bulldog... ). I looked over the tutorials on Dr. Brown's Web site, and did not see what I was looking for, but it might be tucked away, or perhaps in an archive. Dr. Brown does so many great tutorials, and those often change a bit, as Photoshop evolves (new Tools, and new features), that one might have to dig more deeply.

I would also post the question to the Photoshop Forum, and just not mention that you have Photoshop Elements, as some of the younger folk there (with better memories, than mine), will likely furnish you with a link, and tips (that can be easily translated to PSE). If you mention PSE in the post, too many will likely just recommend that you post to that forum, without considering the problem fully. I know that the tutorial/discussion was in the Photoshop Forum, but could not locate it.

Good luck,

Hunt