1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 19, 2012 1:23 PM by Peter Spier

Confused about color vs. b/w photos for printing...and more

Paul R Stark Level 1

I reading confusing things about exporting a PDF for printing with both color and black and white images used in the same document.

If I export to PDF and do a soft-proof and it looks okay, is that sufficient? If so, what's confusing about that, since this is my first print project, which Simulation Profile do I use? Is there a chart somewhere that compares U.S. Web Coated (SWOP) v2 to let's say 80 lb Gloss book with Aqueous coating (C2S)?

I don't know what any of this means. So, is there a good article on this site, elsewhere, or an online printer who can help a rookie like me ensure I end up with a decent product?

UPrinting.com advertises a "Free Project Review" that includes the following:

Our team will run your file through a 30-point inspection, covering technical issues including:

• Artwork dimensions
      • Bleed setup
      • Low resolution images
      • Elements that are not within the safe zone
      • Image clipping
      • Font sizes
      • Un-embedded fonts
      • Folding setup
      • Page scaling
      • Line weights
      • Proper text spacing (compressed/expanded)
      • Narrow borders that are at risk of being cut
      • Compliance with USPS Mailing Guidelines
      • Bindery setup for multi-page artwork

What should I do? Is this trustworthy as long as I get a contract proof? Is there a "Go To" online printer that everyone loves (not sure you can recommend that here) or should I seek out a local printer?

I'm using CS4 and have a file that's (maybe) ready to go but am looking at a learning curve of days if not weeks if I have to figure it all out myself.

Thanks everyone.

Paul

• 1. Re: Confused about color vs. b/w photos for printing...and more
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

InDesign puts grayscale and B&W (bitmap mode) art on the Black plate, where it belongs, so if you soft proof using the CMYK profile for your expected output conditions your preview will be accurate for the grayscale and B&W images as they will appear in print. presuming your monitor is calibrated and profiled so that you can trust what you see.

Aqueous coating is applied AFTER the printing to protect, and possible enhance the glossiness of, the page (but not all coatings are glossy). This is not the same thing as printing on coated paper, which has a glossy surface and high ink holdout (and improves detail reproduction and usually will geive better color). You should be using whatever profile the printer has specified.