6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 22, 2012 1:39 PM by John T Smith

Cutting and Saving Video to Computer in Original Format

DarthGrillo

I have one video that I want to separate into multiple video clips and save separately to my computer as the original MTS File not as a .prel file. This is so I can pick and choose which separate video files I want to use in recreating a video and plug each one in where I precisely I want them.

I hope someone can help.

Thank You!

Garrett

• 1. Re: Cutting and Saving Video to Computer in Original Format
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

.prel is your project file, not a video file

User Guide PDF http://help.adobe.com/en_US/premiereelements/using/index.html

Right click the PDF link in the upper right corner and select to save to your hard drive

-the page also has links to help pages for previous versions

• 2. Re: Cutting and Saving Video to Computer in Original Format
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Garrett,

Welcome to the forum.

The MTS files are originally compressed, and are usually from cameras, that shoot AVCHD material.

If you are creating intermediate files, for later editing, I would NOT use any compressed format. This ARTICLE will give you some tips, and suggestions. Note: the file sizes will be larger, BUT the quality will not be compromised in any way, and if you choose any compressed format/CODEC, you WILL be degrading the quality.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Cutting and Saving Video to Computer in Original Format
              DarthGrillo Level 1

Hi Bill,

So if I'm understanding you right after reading your article, if I decompress convert the video from the AVCHD/MTS format (which it is in currently) to a lossless CODEC, the video will play and therefor be easier to edit on my Elements 10?

Please let me know if I understood you correctly.

Thank You.

Garrett

• 4. Re: Cutting and Saving Video to Computer in Original Format
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Well, partially. PrE cannot Export/Share to full AVCHD, but can Export/Share to H.264 (will probably be in an MP4 wrapper, instead of the MTS wrapper), which is essentially the CODEC inside of AVCHD. AVCHD is a specific camera sub-set of H.264.

Now, it is not so much an "ease of editing," as PrE will edit AVCHD and most versions of the H.264 CODEC, natively. The big difference is that if one has H.264 originally, and then compresses to H.264 again on output, that is two levels of compression, and quality will suffer, perhaps noticeably. The use of a Lossless CODEC for the intermediate output file is to keep the quality as high, as is possible, especially as one will most likely compress the final output of those edited intermediate files, say MPEG-2 for SD DVD-Video, MPEG-HD, or H.264 for BD, or any number of other CODEC's, such as WMV, FLV., etc..

It's kind of like a FAX of a FAX. Every generation of compression will degrade the image, so I always want to keep compression to an absolute minimum for quality reasons. Now, and as stated above, the file sizes will increase, as the Lossless CODEC's compress only slightly, but that is lossless. I wanted to point that out, as some users get alarmed, when they see larger file sizes, and do not understand the "why" behind that.

Note also: if you Export/Share, to say Lagarith, and then hand off that file to a friend, they will need the Lagarith CODEC on their machine too. Same with UT Lossless CODEC.

Good luck, and hope that clarifies things a bit.

Hunt

• 5. Re: Cutting and Saving Video to Computer in Original Format
                  DarthGrillo Level 1

Hi Bill,

Thank you for all the advice as I'm a newbie on editing video and Elements 10. One last question, the video was shot in 1080p in AVCHD/MTS format. Is there a better format to use and/or convert too that will reduce the video lag/skipping/audio delay when playing it in Elements 10 and trying to successfully edit the video?

Thank you again!

Garrett