15 Replies Latest reply: Jul 30, 2015 3:20 PM by FordGuy48 RSS

How Do I Open Licensing Repair Tool?

Martinr7 Community Member

Maybe a stupid question, but...I cannot open Dreamweaver, following a computer crash. I am told that "Licensing for this product has stopped working." I have downloaded the Licensing Repair Tool for Mac (LicenseRecovery111.dmg), but don't know what to do next. I double-click on it in my Downloads folder, but nothing happens. I would welcome guidance.

Thank you.

• 1. Re: How Do I Open Licensing Repair Tool?
          John Waller MVP

Have you followed these instructions?

http://www.adobe.com/support/contact/licensing.html

1. Download the LicenseRecovery109.zip (Windows) or LicenseRecovery111.dmg file (Macintosh). 
          2. On Windows extract the download using Winzip, on Mac doubleclick the .dmg file to extract it. 
          3. Important: Close ALL Adobe applications prior to running the tool. 
          4. On Windows: Doubleclick the LicenseRecovery.exe. 
          5. On Mac: Doubleclick the LicenseRecoveryLauncher.app and enter your Mac OS X password when prompted. 
          6. Confirm whether you want to run the tool in English or Japanese by entering e or j and hit Enter. 
          7. The tool will prompt you to enter y if you need to cancel it now in order to close any Adobe applications that are still running. If you wish to proceed with the tool and don’t want to cancel, enter n and hit Enter. 
          8. Follow the on-screen instructions.
          • 2. Re: How Do I Open Licensing Repair Tool?

Thank you for your reply. I located LicenseRecoveryLauncher and when I tried to open it I was asked to enter my Mac password. I actually don't have a password, so when I simply hit Return I kept getting the same password prompt. So I closed the box. Now when I try to open LicenseRecoveryLauncher again I just get a blank box. Nothing else happens.

• 3. Re: How Do I Open Licensing Repair Tool?
              John Waller MVP

Have you tried rebooting?

• 4. Re: How Do I Open Licensing Repair Tool?

Thank you. Yes, I have now tried rebooting, and that restores the box requesting my password. But I cannot find a way of getting past the password request. I do not have a password, so I simply press Return. That brings up a message: "Sorry, try again." I do not know what to do next.

• 5. Re: How Do I Open Licensing Repair Tool?
                  John Waller MVP

Try setting a OSX password, install the License Repair Tool then remove the OSX password (if you don't want it)?

• 6. Re: How Do I Open Licensing Repair Tool?

John, I appreciate very much all your guidance. But this is getting very difficult. I'm not great with computers, and am nervous about attempting to add a password and then removing it.

My actual problem is that my computer crashed, and now when I try to open Dreamweaver I get a message, "Licensing for this product has stopped working. You cannot use this product at this time. You must repair the problem by uninstalling and then reinstalling this product...."

I am prepared to do this, but worry that I may lose data or settings. So I posted a message about that on these boards, and got an answer that I needed to download the license recovery tool. But maybe that is not actually the best thing to do.

(I should mention that, due possibly to my laziness, I never got around to registering my copy of Dreamweaver, even though it is a legal product, bought from a store and with its own unique serial number.)

• 7. Re: How Do I Open Licensing Repair Tool?
                      mhollis55 Community Member

You have a password on your Mac, but you have been consistently bypassing any login screen.

Otherwise, your Mac would have accepted the [Enter] as your password. This is an operating system issue and not an Adobe Licensing Repair Tool issue.

Here is how you change or recover your password in OS X.

• 8. Re: How Do I Open Licensing Repair Tool?

When I got my Mac I chose not to have any password. That means, for example, that when installing new software and I get a message requesting my password, I simply press Return and am taken to the next command.

But with the Licensing Repair Tool each time I press Return I get a message "Sorry, try again."

It seems to me an Adobe issue.

• 9. Re: How Do I Open Licensing Repair Tool?
                          John Waller MVP

Which version of OSX are you running?

Snow Leopard, Lion or something else?

• 10. Re: How Do I Open Licensing Repair Tool?
                            Speyedr Cohn Community Member

Hello,

I am also having a similar problem to Martins'.

Following a repair and memory upgrade of my macbook (OS X 10.6.8),  I am attempting to reinstall programs from Adobe CS3, which I had purchased from a store. I am getting the same 'pop up' of "Liscencing for the product has stopped working", even after deinstalling and reinstalling the programs as that pop up reccomends below that line.

As instructed on Adobe's help website, I have downloaded the LiscenceRecovery111.dmg for the mac. However, like Martin, when I click on its icon for LiscenceRecovery111.dmg (either in finder, or when I drag the icon to my desktop), I get no response.

Following this thread, I did try to search LicenseRecoveryLauncher in my finder, but it doesn't turn any thing up.

Is the LiscenceRecoveryLauncher the very same thing as LisceneRecovery111.dmg? Is that it?

So I am unsure of how to procede to get my Adobe programs running on my computer again.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you very much,

Travis

• 11. Re: How Do I Open Licensing Repair Tool?
                              Preran Adobe Employee

Hi Travis, Martin

I will ask our support engineers to get in touch with you.

Thanks,

Preran

• 12. Re: How Do I Open Licensing Repair Tool?
                                Speyedr Cohn Community Member

Great, Thanks Alot, that would be great.

Looking forward to talking with them.

Best, Travis

• 13. Re: How Do I Open Licensing Repair Tool?
                                  FordGuy48 Community Member

I am having the same issue as martinr7, opening the License Repair Tool, I clicl on the icon, and, nothing. I am running OS X  Yosemite, version 10.10.3. I can't even find the tool in my applications, is this correct?

• 14. Re: How Do I Open Licensing Repair Tool?
                                    makrebs Community Member

I am also having the a similar issue. I downloaded the recovery tool and added it to my Applications folder, but when I try to open it, it launches the icon on the dock but there is a message that says application not responding.

• 15. Re: How Do I Open Licensing Repair Tool?
                                      FordGuy48 Community Member

I gave up and just reinstalled the CS4 Dreamweaver, I was surprised that all my stuff was still in Dreamweaver, works fine now. I need to learn the latest version now! It would not let me reinstall Photoshop or Illustrator CS4 for some reason, oh well.