8 Replies Latest reply on Feb 20, 2012 1:10 PM by 2drumstix

Best sequence preset for short film with all stills?

2drumstix Level 1

Hi,

I'm working on a short film documentary, its all stills, I usually work with video - first time doing all stills. Project looks great in my time line, but when rendering for standard DVD I'm getting lots of odd pixilation in cross fades and fades to black. Not a lot of time to keep testing the hundreds of sequence and render settings. Perhaps not the best choice but I used AVCHD 1080p30.

Anyone know which of the sequence presets would be best for a film with all stills?

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Best sequence preset for short film with all stills?
          Jim Curtis Level 3

If your end result is going to be a DVD, why not work in a DVD-sized sequence, such as 720x480 for NTSC.

The "pixilization" you describe sounds like a low-bit rate or use of a rancid Long-GOP codec like AVCHD.

No need to render twice.  You can export from Pr or AME to MPEG2, which is what you'll be needing for a DVD.

• 2. Re: Best sequence preset for short film with all stills?
            2drumstix Level 1

Thanks Jim, I did use the sequence preset 1080p30 AVCHD, which one of the sequence presets would be better do you think?

I've set this project up at 1920x1080 because I'll be making a web version, a DVD version and a quicktime or avi version - and wanted them all to be that ratio.

I rendered to MPEG2-DVD, and used VBR, 9mbps for min, max and target. Project only 27 mins length, at those high bit rates its still under 2gig file size for STD DVD.

Render twice??

• 3. Re: Best sequence preset for short film with all stills?
              Jim Curtis Level 3

I already answered your first Q: use a DVD sized preset: 720x480 widescreen for 16x9.

You can export a square-pixel web version that's 720x864 in whatever codec you want.

A reason not to use 720x480 would be if you intend to make a BR at some point, or you want your web video to be larger than 720x864.  It's best to start a project thinking about the end result.  1920x1080 is overkill if you don't plan on finishing anything at that frame size.  That's an opinion, really, not a hard and fast rule.  Some people like to work at full resolution all the time, and then squeeze it down at the very end.

Render twice:  Don't export an AVCHD movie and make a DVD from that.  That's what I assumed you were doing.  Maybe I misread your post.  That would be rendering twice.  Export your MPEG2 for DVD right out of Pr or AME.

You shouldn't be seeing "pixelization" in your fades at a 9mb bit-rate.  That's a high bit rate for DVD.  That's why I assumed you had exported using AVCHD.

• 4. Re: Best sequence preset for short film with all stills?
                2drumstix Level 1

Thanks again for the reply..

I think I'm too late to go from 1920x1080 to 720, tried that and all my slides and motion are affected. I'll just go with squeezing for now. But good point, will consider for future projects.

Still a little unsure about the render twice. I did use a AVCHD sequence/timeline, but I am exporting using media encoder to MPEG2. I'm guessing by render twice you mean rendering in the timeline after you bring in stills and apply motion, then rendering again when exporting for MPEG2? If thats your meaning, not sure how you get around rendering twice - I mean the motions and timeline still needs to be rendered, or are you saying leave it all to be rendered at the export process?

I'm seeing this odd combination of pixilation and blotchy & splotchy fades and fades to black, especially on long fades or fade outs. I've tried using opacity for the fades, that helps a bit. Putting fade to black and opacity fades helps even more - it seems..

• 5. Re: Best sequence preset for short film with all stills?
                  Jim Curtis Level 3

Still a little unsure about the render twice. I did use a AVCHD sequence/timeline, but I am exporting using media encoder to MPEG2. I'm guessing by render twice you mean rendering in the timeline after you bring in stills and apply motion, then rendering again when exporting for MPEG2? If thats your meaning, not sure how you get around rendering twice - I mean the motions and timeline still needs to be rendered, or are you saying leave it all to be rendered at the export process?

I can see how the terminology could be confusing.  When you Export>Media from Pr, that's the same as Exporting and Rendering (esp. if your output format is different from your Preview format).  One way to look at it is that you're rendering a complete single file to a single codec.

Rendering is also a term used to "build" Previews in Pr.  That's where your source media - no matter what codec was used - is rendered into the Preview format you selected in your Sequence Settings.

You have options when making a DVD.  You can export (while simultaneously rendering) to an intermediate file, such as ProRes for Mac people, and then make your DVD from that.  That is "rendering twice."  OR... you can simply Export to an MPEG2 from Pr, and make your DVD from that, which would be "rendering once."

Based on what you just wrote, it sounds like you're only "rendering once."  But if so, I'm baffled why your fades are blocky.

Maybe it would help if you described how you're making your DVD.  I wonder if you're re-transcoding your MPEG2 when you get to Encore (or whatever you're using to make DVDs).  That could explain it.

• 6. Re: Best sequence preset for short film with all stills?
                    2drumstix Level 1

Yeah, terminology in emails can be confusing sometimes, but yes I'm rendering once at the export for DVD step.

I'm using the PR media encoder preset MPEG2-DVD, setting the quality to 5, and the mpbs's to 9, render Max render Quality checked, and use previews checked to speed up the render. Maybe I should dump all the PR preview files in the project folders and render the export without previously rendered previews. I dont know, running out of time - and options.

I'm using Encore to make my DVD. The m2v assest in Encore shows dont transcode, and when hit build I dont see transcode as part of the build process so I'm fairly certain its not rendering twice.

Its funny, when I view the m2v on PC using either windows media player or powerDVD, I dont see the blotchy-ness (well maybe slightly on a few slides), but when I burn the DVD and view it on my 1080 plasma the blotchy-ness is bad, really bad.

I've rendered this project as .flv, fairly low mbps just for a proof, loaded it on my test page and it looks fine.

• 7. Re: Best sequence preset for short film with all stills?
                      Jim Curtis Level 3

You may be onto something.  If you were using a Long-GOP codec as your Preview format, and you were exporting with Use Previews checked, then all your Preview files (fades and dissolves) will have been double-encoded using a Long-GOP codec. 

So, that would be a good test:  Delete all your Previews before you export.  That way, your dissolves will have only been rendered once to the MPEG2 codec.  I hope that works for you.

• 8. Re: Best sequence preset for short film with all stills?
                        2drumstix Level 1

Well, I hadent thought of it that way... but you could be on to something also. I suppose rendering previews with the long-GOP codec, then exporting with use previews, I am basically rendering those transitions twice using two different codecs.

I'll give it a try..

Thanks Jim!