5 Replies Latest reply on May 7, 2012 8:04 PM by Mark Linthicum

Render problems and fed up with after effects

gervaismz Level 1

Hi all,

I'm I the middle of trying to do a very simple pan and scan corporate video, the crux being its in stereoscopic 3D. First I've tried using cineform plug ins and have had numerous problems and basically don't think highly of their product. Since after effects has plug ins for stereoscopic I've moved to try and use them. All seems to be going alright for most of the footage. But I'm have some issues with a very import pant part of one video.

My set up

Mac 2x2.4 GHz Quad-core Intel Xeon

12GB of ram

Mac OSX 10.7.2

ATI Radeon HD 5770 1024MB

NVIDEA Quadro 4000 2048MB

After Effects CS5.5 (10.5.0.253)

630GB free on 1TB boot drive

1.8TB free on 3TB external drive 1

100GB free on 3TB external drive 2

My comp is 7 layers. Duration 1:46:00 output is Side by Side

Layer 1- animation with alpha clip. Opacity is keyframed to do a 'dissolve' at the beginning and end of the clip. TC in 53:11, out 1:05:01

Layer 2- comp. stereoscopic 3D. Made from using a camera and Create Stereo 3D Rig. It's a mask of the earth in space. 1:46:00

Layer 3- animation with alpha clip. Opactiy keyframed same as layer 1. Clip aniamtionwas done in the original comp. TC in 1:25:09, out 1:45:10.

Layer 4- animation with alpha clip. Opacity key framed same as layer 1. Clip aniamtionwas done in the original comp.TC in 1:03:2,' out 1:16:10.

Layer 5- animation with alpha clip. Opacity key framed same as layer 1. Clip aniamtionwas done in the original comp.TC in 31:12, out 48:11.

Layer 6- animation with alpha clip. Opacity key framed same as layer 1. Clip aniamtionwas done in the original comp.TC in 6:06, out 21:14.

Layer 7- animation codec clip. 1:46:00 duration.

Now when I attempt to render this out to a ProRes 422 file so that I can join it up with the other footage in Primeire Pro, I basically sit around for 2 hours and then I get a nice little dialog box stating "an output module failed. The file may be damaged or corrupted. (-1610153464).

This is maddening to say the least.

Other issues

After Effects basically is Pathetically slow in rendering out a ProRes or Animation or any type of mov file. A simple 30sec clip takes 1 hour 47 minutes. All the clip contains is a tiff left eye and right eye and the 3D glasses plug in. That's it. I know my system isn't the biggest out there (I bought what I could afford). But these render times are ludicrous. If I turn of the multiprocessing it doesn't help. I have the openGL turned on. That doesn't seems to do anything. I have it set up to use 10Gb of ram, yet the system says I'm only using 37% of my ram, none of my processors and I have no idea about the graphics card. Am I totally missing something about how after effects actually does rendering? I'm from the old school of Jaleo and Shake and Nuke. However I set out on my own as a freelancer and I can't really afford Nuke (besides I don't like that it doesn't have a timeline). So I purchased Adobe production premium thinking it can do the job I want, however it seems to act like a spoilt brat software. Yes im ranting had really having thoughts of buyers remorse.

If anyone out there has any advice or thoughts on how to get this to work I'd be more than grateful to hear from you.

Cheers

James

• 1. Re: Render problems and fed up with after effects
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Don't use OpenGL rendering. There are at least two reasons for that: 1) OpenGL defeats the use of Render Multiple Frames Simultaneously multiprocessing. 2) The OpenGL renderer is not a high-fidelity renderer; it is just intended for speeding up some previews.

Regarding memory and multiprocessing settings, see this:

"FAQ: What are the optimum memory settings for best performance...?"

Regarding the problem with the output module error:

Try rendering and exporting to an image sequence and then assembling that image sequence into a finished movie as a next step. QuickTime sometimes has trouble with creation of large files.

• 2. Re: Render problems and fed up with after effects
            Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

That doesn't seems to do anything. I have it set up to use 10Gb of ram, yet the system says I'm only using 37% of my ram,

AE only takes what it needs, as do any programs with dynamically managed memory. It's not cramming everything into RAM when it doesn't have to.

none of my processors

Secondary processors/ cores will only be used, if you enable the sad excuse that is the "Render multiple Frames simultanuously" feature. As Todd suggested, read that article on "optimum" settings. Just keep in mind that what works well for one project may not work at all for the next one when the balance of footage I/O vs. pixel processing vs. memory consumption changes. You're gonna learn to really hate this...

I have no idea about the graphics card

AE doesn't use it for the most part. Even if you enable all of the hardware acceleration features, AE may turn them off behind your back, one such condition being the use of MP rendering. Can't have both. Conversely, MP rendering might be turned off just the same, if specific effects or features are used. That's also expleianed in teh help. Your only chance of halfway benefiting from hardware acceleration is buying some third-party plug-ins that have their own implementations of OpenGL and CUDA. Still, since you use two different cards i nyour system, that may also be problematic...

Mylenium

• 3. Re: Render problems and fed up with after effects
              A.I.1 Level 3

Todd_Kopriva wrote:

2) The OpenGL renderer is not a high-fidelity renderer; it is just intended for speeding up some previews.

I'm confused why the OpenGL renderer in After Effects would be lower quality than the normal renderer.  I thought I read (or saw youtube videos) saying that - I think it was in Premiere - that CUDA accelerated effects would be at least as good quality as the normal version - or sometimes better (as well as being faster).  eg. that scaling would use a better quality scaler, etc.  Is it just Premiere that gives higher speed rendering and at least as good quality using opengl, and if so, why is the renderer in After Effects when using OpenGL (eg. Cuda) worse quality but better quality in Premiere?  Or am I just getting different types of OpenGL renderers mixed up?  (ie. would a card like the NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 570 with CUDA - ie. using OpenGL acceleration? not produce faster encodes (depending on the effects) and at least as good quality rendering as the normal software renderer in After Effects?

• 4. Re: Render problems and fed up with after effects
                Todd_Kopriva Level 8

OpenGL and CUDA are very different things.

After Effects doesn't use CUDA. After Effects does use OpenGL, but only for a low-fidelity preview renderer.

See this for details about how After Effects uses OpenGL:

http://www.video2brain.com/en/videos-5359.htm

• 5. Re: Render problems and fed up with after effects
                  Mark Linthicum Level 1

After Effects is pathetical slow on the MAC is right! I think it is Adobe not giving the development time to the mac OS and basically being lazy when it comes to there programing. Look at Photoshop and Flash, both are resource hogs especially for what thy do.