15 Replies Latest reply on Dec 22, 2015 7:08 PM by DS WildOutWest

Font size of palettes

ECMR1964 Level 1

Hi there

I've been googling for this, but so far to no avail. Is it possible to enlarge the font of the palettes a little? I'm working with both CS4 and CS5 on a Mac. One can change the size of the miniatures, I know, but I would like to see the names of my styles a wee bit bigger! (Trying hard to avoid my reading glasses here).

Any help is much appreciated!

Elszy

• 1. Re: Font size of palettes
          BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Sorry, can’t be changed.

Bob

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Font size of palettes
            ECMR1964 Level 1

Bugger... seems I have to use the glasses anyway! Thanks Bob!

• 3. Re: Font size of palettes
              mckayk_777 Level 2

What about screen resolution taken just a tad smaller to make things easier to read.

But it will make your working area smaller.

• 4. Re: Font size of palettes

NEVER change the resolution of an LCD. Native resolution is the only way you’ll get an accurate look at your work.

Bob

• 5. Re: Font size of palettes
                  mckayk_777 Level 2

OK that surprised me,

What resolution is Native resolution.

• 6. Re: Font size of palettes
                    Rik Ramsay Level 4

It's bizarre how Adobe decided not to give this functionality in InDesign but yet they included it in Photoshop under Preferences > Interface > UI Text. They obviously don't agree that consistency is key.

• 7. Re: Font size of palettes
                      ECMR1964 Level 1

So true! I'm working in double mode: on a 21" screen with a extra screen on the side where I park my palettes, so I've got more than enough room to view everything properly. It would be nice if I could just make them a little bigger. Changing a resolution is  not really an option, but thanks for thinking along. Maybe indeed Adobe should build that in for future versions. I'm sure I'm not the only one who would appreciate it.

On with the show!

Elszy

• 8. Re: Font size of palettes
                        [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

Do you use Photoshop as well? If so, you can select a 'UI Font Size' for in its Preferences. It's not much of an option as you can only change to one of three sizes ("Small", "Tiny", and "Oh my gosh what do those pixels mean") but at least the Photoshop team is trying ...

• 9. Re: Font size of palettes
                          Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I agree that being able to set the font size of the UI in InDesign would be nice. However, most often each Adobe product team decides on its own priorities for feature enhancements. You should make a feature request.

• 10. Re: Font size of palettes
                            John Hawkinson Level 5

It turns out that there are technical reasons why this is not at all a simple feature to implement.

One reason (probably) that Photoshop  has it and InDesign doesn't is that in CS5, Photoshop completed the migration from Carbon to Cocoa. Cocoa is the modern Mac OSX API for applications to community with the operating system, especially with user interface stuff.

InDesign is still working on it. (They'd better hurry, since there are suggestions that with or after Mountain Lion, there may be no support for Carbon).

It's a huge amount of work, and any effort put into making UI fonts scalable in Carbon would be wasted on Cocoa.

Once we get a Cocoa version of InDesign (and perhaps a 64-bit version, too!), then it'll become possible for this kind of feature to get seriously contemplated.

To a certain extent, 64-bit support and Cocoa are linked, and Photoshop had a much more compelling reason to transition to 64-bit support (the need to support 4GB+ files), to which InDesign has no real analogous requirement.

As for the  resolution of your LCD, well, I don't know that I'd go quite as far as "never," but certainly you'll pay a penalty. If you can change it in an even multiple, like running your 1920x1080 display at 960x540, that would probably not compromise too much. Of course it would look horrid and sad.

And of course there's the Universal Access zoom feature (Cmd-Opt-8 to toggle on/off. cmd-opt-plus/minus to zoom in/out).

• 11. Re: Font size of palettes

John Hawkinson wrote:

If you can change it in an even multiple, like running your 1920x1080 display at 960x540, that would probably not compromise too much.

And then

John Hawkinson wrote:

Of course it would look horrid and sad.

Could you please explain how not compromising too much and look horrid and sad are compatible?

I'm sticking to my advice. NEVER set an LCD to anything other than its native resolution. You could well wind up with some very unpleasent surprises down the road.

Bob

• 12. Re: Font size of palettes
                                John Hawkinson Level 5

Of course it would look horrid and sad.

Could you please explain how not compromising too much and look horrid and sad are compatible?

Sure! I was imprecise in my language, sorry.

If you change your display to an even multiple of its native resolution, you will "not compromise" the fidelity of the display. There is no averaging or interpolation problem where the OS asks for 3 pixels and the display has to decide whether to use 5 pixels or 7 pixels to produce that. It's easy, it always doubles (to 6, in this example). No round-off error, no visual artifacts.

It just would look "horrid and sad" because 960x540 is a very small screen.

• 13. Re: Font size of palettes
                                  zagarskas Level 2

This is real simple.

In the screenshot I show what is a comfortable reading size for text on a screen.

Compare that to the area circled in the spell check... this is horrid and sad that a program designed for typography, layout, design and the overall idea of graphic design itself as it relates to communication is being made with a program that has NO OPTION to change the interface font size to anything other than 8pt font.

I dont know what else to say: ADOBE, please allow us to change the font size of your interface to something that can be read without placing our faces close enough to the screen to permanently damage our retinas. We would like to be able to see when we hit age 65... If you destroy our eyes how are we going to buy and use your products effectivly?

thank you for your consideration in this matter.

Capture.PNG

• 14. Re: Font size of palettes

This forum is not a direct line to Adobe, this link is where you make

feature requests:

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

Make a very strong case for all users, not just you and don't hold your

breath waiting for a reply.

• 15. Re: Font size of palettes
                                      DS WildOutWest Level 1

This is another level of Absurdity... A post from 2012 highlights the fact that it is still impossible to adjust the size of the menus... we all have to tolerate this icon and menu miniaturization... but wait, not on all apps... Photohop has adjustable menu font sizes.. but then Photoshop has a different style - where a sort of grey on grey minimal design is messing with usability in an entirely different way.  Adobe needs LEADERSHIP with some design sensibilities. Consistent user interfaces and wherever possible set by the user.  This is what software should do... and contextually relevant help menu please.