4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 20, 2012 10:45 AM by peter minneapolis

How do you create a template for a document that has an irregular shape?

novice13579 Level 1

I'm very new to InDesign, and trying my best to digest the Indesign help tutorials with no prior knowledge of print or design lingo.

One thing I haven't come across yet, which is stunting my start, is how to create a shape on the page to be my template, if you like.

I have to create a musician's press pack folder - A5 size, a folded piece of card that, when opened, has flaps inside to hold documents and a CD. I need to have designs on the front and back, and inside two sides of the folder.

I have read much info on how to create guide lines, but how do you create parts of the document such as flaps? These would require a diagonal line, rather than the horizontal and vertical guidelines I have been able to learn how to create so far.

Also, I take it that 'guidelines' can be used as boundaries for the edge of your document - ie. where the print company will have to cut? Or are these lines at the edge of your document called something different and created via a different method? (I know about allowing for bleed).

I know that this information is probably embedded somewhere in the Adobe tutorials, but I thought some very kind person might help me out as I've spent a lot of time watching tutorials and I'm not able to find the answer yet! Its a little like trying to read a foreign language when every other term you have to google!

Thanks in advance!

• 1. Re: How do you create a template for a document that has an irregular shape?
          BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

I hate to tell you this but this not really a project for a novice.

You’ll need to learn about non printing objects and die lines. Have you spoken to the printer about this? They may have template for you.

My two most recommended links for beginners are Sandee Cohen’s Visual Quick Start Guide: http://amzn.to/xLnjT4

And Lynda.com. This link will get you a free one week subscription: http://bit.ly/fcGpiI

Bob

• 2. Re: How do you create a template for a document that has an irregular shape?
            novice13579 Level 1

Thanks very much for the reply Bob, its much appreciated. I'll check out those links.

All the best

Emma

• 3. Re: How do you create a template for a document that has an irregular shape?
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

In addition to Bob's very good advice, what you need to understand is that the paper used to make your folder starts out as a flat rectangle, and your document will be a rectangle as well, large enough to hold your shape (and any bleed areas or special instructions outside the trim, and that your shape will be cut not on a regualr guillotine cutter, but on a special "Die Cut" press that uses a specially custom-shaped knife to chop your folder out of the sheet. Your knife will be made from the "die line" you create in the document, if there is n't already a die made for the folder (most folders are actually made on existing dies, so do ask the printer). Die lines should be on their own layer, and use a spot color so they produce a unique plate, and they must be set to overprint so they don't leave any trace on the other plates.

• 4. Re: How do you create a template for a document that has an irregular shape?
                peter minneapolis Level 4

Have you tried a Google search for terms like "InDesign die cut cd folder template" without quotes?

HTH

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices

novice13579 wrote:

I'm very new to InDesign, and trying my best to digest the Indesign help tutorials with no prior knowledge of print or design lingo.

One thing I haven't come across yet, which is stunting my start, is how to create a shape on the page to be my template, if you like.

I have to create a musician's press pack folder - A5 size, a folded piece of card that, when opened, has flaps inside to hold documents and a CD. I need to have designs on the front and back, and inside two sides of the folder.

I have read much info on how to create guide lines, but how do you create parts of the document such as flaps? These would require a diagonal line, rather than the horizontal and vertical guidelines I have been able to learn how to create so far.

Also, I take it that 'guidelines' can be used as boundaries for the edge of your document - ie. where the print company will have to cut? Or are these lines at the edge of your document called something different and created via a different method? (I know about allowing for bleed).

I know that this information is probably embedded somewhere in the Adobe tutorials, but I thought some very kind person might help me out as I've spent a lot of time watching tutorials and I'm not able to find the answer yet! Its a little like trying to read a foreign language when every other term you have to google!

Thanks in advance!