6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 20, 2012 12:41 PM by tomexxus

Forgot the CSJ pin and CSK password - Blackberry Playbook dev on Flex

tomexxus

Hi

I'm using Flash Builder 4.6 to create Flex mobile app.

I wanted to debug my app on device. Signed up for and received the two files from RIM (PBDT and RSK) few weeks ago, but I never wrote down the CSJ pin CSK password.

How can I get the CSJ & CSK passwords back?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Forgot the CSJ pin and CSK password - Blackberry Playbook dev on Flex
          iBr3nt Level 3

The simplest is to register for new keys. In fact, when you look at the

online help for what to do with a lost password, they recommend just

replacing them.

iBrent

• 2. Re: Forgot the CSJ pin and CSK password - Blackberry Playbook dev on Flex
            tomexxus Level 1

Thanks IBrent.

One more thing. Those keys, are they app specific?

In the future If I create another app, will I have to get a new set of PBDT/RSK files ?

• 3. Re: Forgot the CSJ pin and CSK password - Blackberry Playbook dev on Flex
              iBr3nt Level 3

I haven't tested it thoroughly, but I don't believe the keys are app

specific. The keys and signing steps are linked to your company name, or

individual name, so you should be able to sign multiple apps. The thing

to remember is that the app id and version numbers need to be unique

across multiple apps.

So far I've just got one app submitted to App World, still waiting on

approval.

iBrent

• 4. Re: Forgot the CSJ pin and CSK password - Blackberry Playbook dev on Flex
                tomexxus Level 1

The whole signing/registering process is pretty long and confusing to me. This is what I understand (please let me know if I got it wrong)

Steps:

1. Get signing keys from rim (two files)

2. Create Developer Certificate (.p12)

3. Register the signing keys with rim (two files)

4. Create debug tokens for specific playbook

5. Upload debug tokens to playbook

6. Once program is ready for appworld, sign it (Project - Export)

Now what happens if I want to up the version to 1.0.1, do I start at

4. Create debug tokens or 5. Upload debug tokens?

Thanks,

Tom

• 5. Re: Forgot the CSJ pin and CSK password - Blackberry Playbook dev on Flex
                  iBr3nt Level 3

Oh it's a fun experience alright.

If you're using Flash Builder 4.6 then once you have the signing keys

you enter the info in the BlackBerry Tools registration wizard in FB

(This is dependent on installing the BlackBerry SDK for AIR first) -

Right-click the project folder > BlackBerry Tools > Configure Test

Devices... This will walk you through the entire process of setting up

your test device and getting the dev cert created etc. This is by far

the easiest process.

But if you like pain and suffering, then here's some ideas based on my

experience:

If you're doing the commandline approach, then there are two options,

one is the debug token route and the other is the signed app route.

Debug tokens allow you to setup the device for testing without having to

sign the app first. You associate the debug token with your device and

any app you build can load and run on that device (or number of devices

associated with the dev token).

Signing the app is easier for me on the commandline. This approach does

not use debug tokens but you do a few extra steps. The advantage here is

that once you've signed the app and tested it, it's ready to be uploaded

to the App World market.

Initial steps (regardless of which approach you take):

Steps done only once:

Download and install BlackBerry AIR SDK

1. Register for signing keys at RIM

1a. Register your compter with the .csj files and RIM signing servers.

2. Enable debug mode on PlayBook device (or simulator).

Steps done for each new app/version

3. Build the swf

4. Generate the -app.xml file - if new version, update version number,

if new app make sure its a unique app id

5. Generate the bar-descriptor.xml file (this can be named anything, as

long as it has the  tags and required info).

Debug token approach:

Done only once for the device you're testing with, only need to repeat

if token expires

6. Create debug token

7. Package app with debug token and deploy to device

Signed app approach:

One time only

8. Generate .p12 signing file - use same company name associated with

.csj files

9. Package the app

10. Sign the application (2 step process):

10a. Sign with RIM

10b. Sign with Author

11. Deploy to device.

So, long answer to your short question, you don't regenerate the debug

token for each new app/version. If you go through the signing process,

then you do steps 9-11 each time. Make sure to increment the version

number to sign the app again.

As you can see, it's a lot easier if you use FB 4.6 with the BlackBerry

tools that install with the BB AIR SDK.

Good luck!

iBrent

• 6. Re: Forgot the CSJ pin and CSK password - Blackberry Playbook dev on Flex
                    tomexxus Level 1

Thanks for a great explanation iBrent.

I'll try that once I get the new keys.

Tom