4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 20, 2012 3:04 PM by the_wine_snob

How is Video converted Inside Premiere Elements vs External Video Converters?

head spin

I originally started using PrE7 to capture video from VHS tapes. Then I started trying to include some mpeg's from various sources and I found PrE did some weird stuff or strange video. It seemed that PrE was trying to convert things inside of the program, but didn't like the input. The preset I had been using was the NTSC DV Camcorder 4:3 Standard which recognized my Pyro AV LInk analog converter, and the resulting video was AVI, no problem. I also have PrE9 which I have been experimenting with lately.

I also MISTAKENLY thought mpeg  and vob were all lower field first (LFF) (which is what PrE uses? if I understand that correctly). In the process of analyzing video with GSpot I discovered Ihad a mix of things. The Video from my Sony Flash Memory Camcorder was upper field first (TFF). Some of the other mpeg's and vob's were also a mixed bag. So I can't use a combo of these things in the same Preset. If I have upper field  video I would have to start another project, use the Flash Memory 4:3 preset, let PrE swap fields in the program, and export the video as AVI. Then re-import the video into the other project to be able to use along with the VHS video. Or some version of that. Or use external video conversion such as MPEG Streamclip. No matter how I do it, I have to uncompress the mpeg or vob video, edit it through PrE, and then recompress it again to make a DVD.

Now to my question. If I use the correct preset when I start a project, (one for lower field mpeg or vob, and another project for the upper field mpeg or vob),  how good of a job of converting the video to AVI in the program is PrE going to do? Is it going to reinterpret what is missing and essentially build as good an AVI as an external converter (such as MPEG Streamclip),  or will the external converters do a better job. The interest being to get the best quality. I know you are going to say there will probably be quality lost either way. The other option you might say is convert the VHS to mpeg, and export it to another program (which is designed to use mpeg and vob) along with the existing mpeg's and vob's I already have. That would defeat the purpose of having Premiere Elements, but is a possibility.

I also (per Steve's post 415317 "What tools can I use to convert my video to DV-AVI") downloaded WMM 2.6 and ran some video through it. The AVI that it produced was Type 1 which brings up another question. What does PrE do with type 1 AVI when combined with type 2 in the same project? More conversion? I understand that type 1 has to be split to become Type 2. So do I skip type 1 and use converters which spit out type 2? All of these back and forth conversions are cpu intensive. Also of note from Steve's post was the Super video converter. Version 38 was the one being used when the post was written. It appears that the latest verisions of Super are adware and guys were not pleased with that, so I bypassed that conversion option. You can do some reseach on the internet and read the feedback.

I realize my projects are simple compared to what some guys are trying to do, but I would like to find out what PrE converts the best, or what would be better conversion with an external source before inputting.

• 1. Re: How is Video converted Inside Premiere Elements vs External Video Converters?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

You should be able to mix Type 1 and Type 2 DV-AVIs in the same project.

But you are right in recognizing that you're going to have problems if you mix upper field first and lower field first video in the same project. It's possible, but not the best. In fact, as  rule it's best not to mix different video formats in the same project.

If you select the Hard Disk Camcorder project settings for standard def video, you can add VOBs and 720x480 MPEGs to the project and the program will do an excellent job of interpretting the video. You can even use Share/Computer/AVI to output DV-AVIs from this project and then use that video in a project set up for standard DV. (In fact, in my books, I list it as the preferred way to convert DVD video to editable video.)

• 2. Re: How is Video converted Inside Premiere Elements vs External Video Converters?
            head spin Level 1

Thanks Steve,

If I understand you correctly PrE will convert the Type 1 to Type 2 in the program? If I am wanting to convert the mpeg to AVI then should I not convert it directly to Type2 (ex: MPEG Streamclip) and skip WMM and PrE conversions. Less CPU intensive?

Have you compared the video from the Hard Disk Camcorder output from PrE vs the output from an external program (again Streamcliip or Quicktime Pro or other program) when converting VOB MPEG? I don't necessarily want to buy another program, but am considering various alternatives in the interest of best video.

I keep hearing about your book. Glad to see you included that gem for people to understand why their video is going wonky. What I have found in most books is my questions go unanswered. I call them "everything you need to know, almost" books. Even video tutorials skip my questions. Everybody wants to wave, warp, distort or some other effect and I want to do simple video. I know you're over on Muvipix. Guess I better check out what's available

• 3. Re: How is Video converted Inside Premiere Elements vs External Video Converters?
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Unless the program spits them back at you, I wouldn't worry about converting Type 1 to Type 2 DV-AVs, headspin.

And, as I've said, when it comes to converting video, I try to use Premiere Elements to do this conversion whenever possible. It's not always a workable solution (Dvix files, for instance, won't load into the program at all). But, when it does work, I'm usually quite happy with the results.

Glad you found Muvipix! As you've said, sometimes books don't answer all of your questions. That's why I helped create Muvipix -- So people would know where to go if there was a question our book didn't cover!

• 4. Re: How is Video converted Inside Premiere Elements vs External Video Converters?
                the_wine_snob Level 9

The only issue that I have read of with DV-AVI Type I's has been a static OOS (Out Of Sync), and that is easily corrected by unlinking the Audio (I use Alt+click to do that), and then nudging the Audio a few Frames (with Snap OFF). However, that is not always the case.

When I do need to convert files, I use the older DigitalMedia Converter 2.7, from Deskshare. It handles most formats/CODEC's, and one thing that I really like is that, unlike some conversion programs, it does not add any CODEC's, so one does need have the proper CODEC installed. It has been replaced by newer versions, but I have not upgraded. This is only for source material, that does not work natively in PrE. Actually, I bought PrE as a conversion program, as it does handle more "consumer" formats/CODEC's, than does PrPro.

As you have mentioned WMV's, I have to comment - I stay away from those for Import, though they ARE supported. They take a lot of resources to process, and even a stout computer can be brought to its knees. That is one format/CODEC, that I will either convert with DMC, or PrE, going to DV-AVI w/ PCM/WAV @ 48KHz 16-bit Audio. Then, I Import those into a new Project for editing.

With 100% DVD-compliant VOB's, those should Import fine into PrE (and PrPro, as of CS 4.2.1), and edit smoothly - except for the loss in quality, from the MPEG-2 compression. With VOB's from some software, and most DVR's, then ripping is the way to go, but luckily, I seldom see that material.

Good luck,

Hunt