2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 20, 2012 5:51 PM by Dov Isaacs

will InDesign replace Pagemaker 7 100%

Vexiss Level 1

I have been putting off upgrading to InDesign for several years now.

I have used Pagemaker for almost 20 years, and it does everything i need with no hassles, but now that i am on windows 7 i cannot convert to PDF's no matter what I do.

Before i make the conversion i want to make sure that InDesign will do everything i need it to.  I have several documents in pagemaker that i make very minor changes to about once a year, then submit them in a PDF file to get them printed.    My first concern is the conversion process - Will my pagemaker files convert over easily to InDesign?

My second concern is whether or not InDesign can convert to a PDF on it's own, or whether it needs additional software.

I am no longer creating new documents and do not want to invest a lot of money into software that i do not have any use for.  I just need something that can convert my old pagemaker files into new files, and can be saved as a PDF for my publisher.  I do not want to spend a lot of time learning a complicated program to do this simple task.

Anyone who has converted from pagemaker to indesign that can let me know about the conversion process? I would appreciate any input.  Thanks

• 1. Re: will InDesign replace Pagemaker 7 100%
          BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Whether ID can open your PM files successfully is something that you will find out on a case by case basis. The results will be anywhere from near perfect to unusable.

InDesign does not depend on any external applications for the creation of PDF.

Why don’t you download the demo and try it out?

Bob

• 2. Re: will InDesign replace Pagemaker 7 100%
            Dov Isaacs Adobe Employee

In terms of converting existing PageMaker documents to InDesign documents, although InDesign can do such conversions, depending upon how you created your PageMaker documents, you may require anywhere from minor to major manual adjustments of the results. For example, tables in InDesign are very different from those of PageMaker. The layout engine is dramatically different (we would like to believe that the results are also dramatically better), but different means that you really need to look at the results and may need to tweek your layout in InDesign. The difficulty and magnitude of such required tweeking obviously depends upon how complex your layouts were in PageMaker and the degree to which the InDesign layout must match that of what you had in PageMaker. Use of non-Western Latin fonts in PageMaker may make the conversion more difficult. Any use of Windows OLE (object linking and embedding) where your objects in PageMaker reference objects within other Windows programs will not carry over directly to InDesign and you will need to manually handle such situations if you have such. The PageMaker to InDesign conversion is a one time investment per document, but could be time consuming and frustrating.

In terms of PDF production, the built-in PDF export capability of InDesign is in our belief the best in the industry. There is no intermediate PostScript involved and the resultant PDF completely supports the entire imaging model of InDesign in particular and Adobe in general including live transparency and color management.

I think the real issue comes down to what the future is of the PageMaker documents you have. If this is a last time creation of PDF exercise, then you might be better off maintaining a copy of PageMaker 7 on an old Windows XP system and do the work there. If you need to be able to do anything with the PageMaker documents in the future, including passing them off to someone else for any future updates or publication, the conversion to InDesign is almost a necessity.

I am sure other users will offer their opinions here ...

- Dov