2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 21, 2012 7:09 AM by the_wine_snob

Is there a wizard that can detect whether your computer has the requirements for Premiere Elements?

lindalindalindalinda Level 1

My question should be self-explanatory. I am considering buying Premiere Elements and I have a 2007 Windows XP computer. I went over the (very long!) list of requirements and updated my graphics driver, but it is considered legacy or vintage at this point, plus there's still stuff I am not sure about. I also have a 6 month old Win7 laptop.

It would just be a lot easier if there is a way for Adobe to detect whether my systems will support this.

• 1. Re: Is there a wizard that can detect whether your computer has the requirements for Premiere Elements?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

How powerful your computer needs to be depends on what format of video you're editing.

In my books on version 10, I recommend the following as a basic minimum for working with standard definition or tape-based hi-definition video:

A dual-core processor running at least at 2.6 ghz per core

4 gigs of RAM

At least 50 gigabytes of free,clean defragmented space --and ideally a second hard drive for editing

A computer monitor with at least 1280x1024 resolution.

To work with AVCHD and other hi-def video:

Increase the processor to at least a quad core or  i7 processor

But how your computer performs specifically depends on your specific configuration. I highly recommend downloading the free trial and taking it for a test drive with a real world video project.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Is there a wizard that can detect whether your computer has the requirements for Premiere Elements?
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Steve's suggestion to try the trial, is about as good as it gets. That will tell you whether your computer is up to the task.

Also, and as Steve mentons, the Source Footage will dictate the equipment that you need for an enjoyable editing experience.

In my experience, the published "System Requirements" is about as low as it gets, and will usually allow one to install and launch the program. I have campaigned for Adobe to publish "real world" minimum specs., but as different types of Source Footage can exact a toll on processing power, one, who is only editing SD DV material, Captured from a miniDV tape camera, will be able to get by with less, than someone trying to edit AVCHD, or any other version of H.264 material.

I feel that Steve does a great job of outlining real world minimum specs. in the Appendix of his PrE books. I wish that Adobe would adopt those with their published Minimum System Requirements.

If you run dxdiag.exe (Start>Run>dxdiag.exe), and list the specs. of your computer, someone here can help you determine if you have the horsepower. Also, please let us know the type of material, that you wish to edit.

Good luck, and let us know more about your laptop, plus how the trial works for you.

Hunt