7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 22, 2012 1:29 AM by Peter Spier

Trouble importing a Pagemaker file into CS 5.5

David7402

I am VERY new to ID 5.5 (today is my first day). I m trying ID because it is supposed

to import Pagemaker files So in my first attemp to open a PM6 file it fails.

But i'm so new I dont even know who to 'point the finger at'.

The non-working symptom is that the PM doc has a number of images

which ARE importing correctly, and  bunch of body  text which also

is importing correctly. But each imported image has  small text area

associated with each one that contained a photo title in the original

PM file. The 'title' areas import as text box ares but the text boxes

are EMPTY.

I am to new with ID5.5 to even know where to start.  I cannot load

the former PM files  because my former PM was on a Windows XP

system, and I'm now on an Win7 (64bit) system and can no longer

install Pagemaker on this Win7 system.

I would be pleased to load any of the files if that wouls help.

eatc7402 (stumped)  eatc7402.55123@gmail.com

• 1. Re: Trouble importing a Pagemaker file into CS 5.5
          winterm Level 4

David7402 wrote:

The 'title' areas import as text box ares but the text boxes

are EMPTY.

Really? Maybe your text is just overset? Don't you see a little red plus sign at the right side of the text box, near the bottom?

• 2. Re: Trouble importing a Pagemaker file into CS 5.5
            David7402 Level 1

Yes I do see a small red plus sign... and when I attempted to print the document to

a pdf 'printer' it also complained about 'overset' text. But I'll admit i all means

almost nothing to me. Is it fixable I hope?

eatc7402

• 3. Re: Trouble importing a Pagemaker file into CS 5.5
              BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

You need to back up a bit.

InDesign is not PM and opening PM files will be a crapshoot. They’ll open, but the results will be anywhere from nearly perfect to practically unusable.

I suggest you buy Sandee Cohen’s Visual Quick Start Guide: http://amzn.to/wJZr9Q. It’s the best beginner book on the market.

Also check out Lynda.com. Great video training if that’s your sort of thing. This link will get you a one week trial: http://bit.ly/fcGpiI

Bob

• 4. Re: Trouble importing a Pagemaker file into CS 5.5
                Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

David7402 wrote:

Yes I do see a small red plus sign... and when I attempted to print the document to

a pdf 'printer' it also complained about 'overset' text. But I'll admit i all means

almost nothing to me. Is it fixable I hope?

eatc7402

In this case I suspect the problem is related to text wrap on the photos. Text wrap in ID is very different from PM, where it depends on stacking order. In ID with default settings text wrap affects text both below and above the wrapped obejct because text is best located above any transparency (which does not exist in PM). You can change the setting in the prefs, or you can select the text frame with the overset text, right  click and choose Text Frame Options, then click the box inthe lower left corner to Ignore Text Wrap.

• 5. Re: Trouble importing a Pagemaker file into CS 5.5
                  David7402 Level 1

Ok, so I have overset text after my import of my former Pagemaker document.

It appears to me that upon import the many places where the txt boxes

that are 'overset' all have suffered from a loss of their former z-order that they

all had in the Pagemaker document. And yes the 'missing' text is still located

i the text boxes because I can see it if  drag the text box off the page and

thn the missing text box shows its text.

Mx question is where do I start in an attempt to fix the problem, or maybe

it needed to ask  IF its fixable.

I have been searching the menues and option in an attmpt to find a way

to adjust the z-order of the text boxes.  I cannot seem to locate a z-order

setting. Is there one?

eac7402

• 6. Re: Trouble importing a Pagemaker file into CS 5.5
                    David7402 Level 1

YES.... you were very very correct. It was the text wrap in a text box associated with a graphic

indeed. Simply turning off the wrap fxed  it ... THANKS.

Can you describe the proper place to set this sas a default as I have many more

sections to open and fix.

eatc7402

• 7. Re: Trouble importing a Pagemaker file into CS 5.5
                      Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Bad news. Defaults only affect things in the future, not existing work, so you'll have to go spread by spread and make adustments in the files you already have.

For new work, Text Wrap should not be turned on by default, but best to check. With no docs open, open the Text Wrap panel and be sure the icon on the far left is chosen (no text wrap). You'll want to do the same for every old file you open to be sure you don't add unwanted text wrap to every new object you add. In ID, setting defaults, with a few exceptions, works this way. Things you set with no files open affect all new files, things done in existing files with nothing active or selected become the new default for the current file.

As I mentioned earlier, you can set the application preferences for text wrap to only affect text below the wrapped object (essentially mimicing PageMaker and Quark), so that might be another option for you in these converted files, but in general, it's a bad way to go for any "modern" file where you might want to actually make use of the additional features ID has to offer like transparency, blend modes and drop shadows, and support for placing tranparent images. Not obvious is that ALL of those things actually involve transparency-type blending, and when transparency is involved your type is at risk of being converted to outlines or rasterized for output. Keeping type at the top of the stack minimizes this risk, usually preventing problems entirely, but there are times when you might want text wrap to affect this text which is above an image in the stacking order. That's waht makes the default behavior so powerful -- you can have an image affect some text and not other by using the ignore text wrap option in the text frame options, but still use transparency effectively.