2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 21, 2012 1:05 PM by BobLevine

Fitting text properly in frame

UrbanGreenNYC

Hello all,

I am having trouble getting text to fit correctly into a text box fit into a specific width column and I was wondering if there are options for overriding the automatic flow of text from line to line without resorting to changing spacing between specific letters/words.

There is space to fit the word "sustainable" on one line but indesign pushes it to the next. The word fits when I add letters to the word, making it longer (and obviously able to fit in the frame), but not when I add a space before the word. I'd like to force the word "sustainable" to fit on the top line.

Suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

• 1. Re: Fitting text properly in frame
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

What you are seeing is one of InDesign's best features, the Pragraph Composer, at work. Just becasue a word WILL fit doesn't mean putting it on a particular line is going to give the best overall balance to a paragraph. The Paragraph Composer looks at the entire paragraph and breaks lines in such a way as to create the best overall spacing for what the paragraph contains.

You might be able to force the word up by using a non-breaking space in front of it instead of a regular space.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Fitting text properly in frame
            BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

The paragraph composer is unique to InDesign. It looks at the entire paragraph, not just a single line.

If you find in certain instances that you don’t like it, then set it to the single line composer.

Bob