19 Replies Latest reply on Sep 5, 2012 12:06 PM by Peter Spier

put a image from web on indesign with quality problem....

pablovenegas

Hello,

sorry my english, but I'll try...

I need use a lot of images from web, to make a document designed on indesign, and after try with all extension or formats, I mean, tif, png, pdf, jpg, psd, with different resolutions, 72, 150, 300, and different bit depths, 8, 16, 32, and no way... always the image when I put on indesign the image appear pixelate or with bad quality...

can you help me with that?

Is urgent, because is for my thesis work...

thank you..

• 1. Re: put a image from web on indesign with quality problem....
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

First the good news. You can probably imporove the  on-screen appearance of the images by going to View > Display Performance... and choosing High Quality Display.

Now the bad news. If this is intended to be printed, forget about using imaages from the web. 99% of images you find on the web will be essentially postage stamp-size, low resoultion, highly compressed imaages optimized for fast download, not for print, and will be badly pixelated and full of compression artifacts. If that's the way the image looks, there's nothing you can do to fix it.

• 2. Re: put a image from web on indesign with quality problem....
            pablovenegas Level 1

thank you... I tried this option too, but the images continuos the same... I now that the images of web are for web, but I need show prints of screen web, like a image of portal... Now, it seems strange that in word, the images work better than indesign... The subject is that I want work with indesign, because I thought that this software was designed for this theme... and then, you think that there is not a solution for this problem?

thanks again

• 3. Re: put a image from web on indesign with quality problem....

I don't do page layout in Word, so I don't know what it does with low-grade images. InDesign outputs the image it's given.

• 4. Re: put a image from web on indesign with quality problem....
                pablovenegas Level 1

and then, how can i catch a image of portal web that work with a good quality on indesign?

• 5. Re: put a image from web on indesign with quality problem....

Is this a web portal you designed? Are you just tying to show an example? If this is supposed to look like a screen capture, take a screen capture.

• 6. Re: put a image from web on indesign with quality problem....
                    pablovenegas Level 1

no, I'm no designed the site... in fact, I need capture a lot of screen webs... and obvius, I need a image that seem like a screen capture, but the problem is that this capture, on photoshop looks good, even on illustrator, but when insert on indesign, the typograhy of screen capture (for example) appear only like a stain

• 7. Re: put a image from web on indesign with quality problem....

Screen captures are by their nature low resolution and pixelated (and text quality will be poor). You want to capture at the largest size you have available. There are some dedicated Screen capture utilities that will supposedly make a higher resolution capture, but I've never used one and as far as I know all they do is interpolate and can't actually improve the image quality over what you get by using your OS to do the capture and scaling in ID.

Are you viewing in ID at High Quality Display? What is your final output, and how will that be viewed? Have you tired a sample output? In most cases your output should be better than the screen preview in ID. ID is showing you only an image preview, even in High Quality, while the actual image data is used for output.

• 8. Re: put a image from web on indesign with quality problem....
                        MW Design Level 4

As Peter writes, the difference in view settings can be the on-screen viewing issue. The screen shot below is the same image but with Typical and High Quality settings.

printed_screen_captures.jpg

My two cents on web screen captures. Screen captures are generally crappy off of web sites. If you do not need the browser in the capture, you can print the page to Acrobat's printer driver and usually arrive at a pretty decent--and fairly scalable--PDF that in turn can be placed in ID. But still, if one desires to view them more closely to what will print, one needs to use the High Quality view settings.

While the images themselves in such a screen shot are still low-res, the text generally remains as text. I can put a ZIP file up of  a sample if anyone really wants one. The screen shot below is from such a PDF printing of the above web page, placed into ID, then a PDF produced from ID. The zoom level of the resultant PDF is 200%. It prints more clearly than a typical image screen shot.

Take care, Mike

printed_screen_capture2.jpg

• 9. Re: put a image from web on indesign with quality problem....
                          emmysue32 Level 1

I used to do this all day. If you export the web page to PDF (file/print/save as PDF on a mac) as Mr. Wenzloff said, that will give you, in general, a good output for the vector portion. (including type) There may be some stitching you have to do to put it back together, and backgrounds and what-not may drop out. Then, if you have access to a program such as Snagit, or Perfect Upsizer, you can grab a relatively print-res screengrab. Snagit will grab it onscreen and interpolate up, and Perfect Upsizer will upsize a screengrab you capture with command-shift-4 on a mac. If you don't have that just shift-command-4 while making the element you want to capture as large as you can on your screen while still looking good, and on the best resolution screen you have. That way it will capture the most pixels. If you don't have access to upresing software, just grab as much as you can and make print resolution in Photoshop, if you need to print. (you can skirt by at 240ppi).

THEN, you need to piece it all together. Illustrator works best. Recreate the backgrounds if they dropped out by taking a screengrab into photoshop and reading the color, then recreating a fill of that color. Stitch pieces back together that come through misaligned. If you have the right font, you can redraw the type. Drop in the raster elements as embedded images.

One thing to note, Snagit can capture the whole thing at relatively print-res. But the type will look a little munchy with those dots around the letters. But it will capture it intact and relatively decent. I've gone to print with a 3 million print run catalog like that for the smaller placements.

• 10. Re: put a image from web on indesign with quality problem....
                            DavidMWE Level 1

You may want to have FlightCheck in your toolbox (I work for the company which makes this preflight tool), to check such files to ensure the graphics are of desired quality. The "effective resolution" is different than the resolution of the image itself. (how big is the graphic used when placed), so be careful. You cannot use lo-res, web images for a high-quality print. You need the source, hr-resolution version. Some JPG's, if used at small sizes and those that have a high quality may be fine.

Also, a big issue with corupt InDesign files we are fixing comes from folks who are placing images directly from a web page into InDesign. That can cause a big crash and corupt your entire layout. Not sure if you are doing this, but just wanted to throw out that tip.

Friendly Regards,

David Dilling

Markzware

• 11. Re: put a image from web on indesign with quality problem....
                              Gwynnplaine

I have a similar problem that I will try to explain.

I work for a company that sends out price and promo books. They are created within InDesign. A portion of the pages are imported onto the template pages using the "place" feature from the File menu. These particular pages are created within Adobe Illustrator. When the book is ready it is saved once as an ID document and then again as a PDF to be uploaded to our website. Then we print the books as needed. What I am experiencing every so often is what I term "pixilation". The page in question is fine when it is first brought over but after a while it degrades in quality and looks like this:

adobeforum001.jpg

So far my only course of action is to re-import the AI document into the InDesign doc which usually works but if I am doing something improper along the way I would like to know. Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

• 12. Re: put a image from web on indesign with quality problem....

Can't really see much in the screen shot -- too small. Are you seeing this in print or on screen? In the PDF or in ID?

• 13. Re: put a image from web on indesign with quality problem....
                                  CaramelMacchiato Level 1

pablovenegas wrote:

...Now, it seems strange that in word, the images work better than indesign... The subject is that I want work with indesign, because I thought that this software was designed for this theme... and then, you think that there is not a solution for this problem?

pablovenegas,

Please realize that Microsoft Word is specifically designed for word processing application, while Adobe InDesign is specifically designed for high-quality professional-grade layout application –where InDesign outputs highest-quality output. I don't use Word app for years.

To place images onto InDesign document, it is recommended that you place HIGHEST QUALITY of image - at least 300ppi. If you place 72ppi on InDesign, it is HOW you place that specific web-quality image on InDesign. InDesign didn't do anything wrong, it is HOW you put the web image on.

Word of advice, do you have a permission to use all of those web images captures off the Internet without website owner, or any copyright owner's written permission. If you haven't done so, just stop doing what you are doing (web screen captures off these webistes for your own benefit or pleasure, but cannot use any of these images for commerical use). Just free two-cent advice. In closing, all I can say, be cautious and careful.

Best of luck!

• 14. Re: put a image from web on indesign with quality problem....
                                    Gwynnplaine Level 1

I see it in the PDF

I hope this is a better image.

adobeforum001.jpg

• 15. Re: put a image from web on indesign with quality problem....

Not a lot better. IS the PDF saved from ID or from Illustator? What settings are you using?

• 16. Re: put a image from web on indesign with quality problem....
                                        Gwynnplaine Level 1

saved from ID...the settings are smallest (for bandwidth considerations). Off the top of my head I do not recall what other settings I initiated. If you are able to tell me, what settings should I be using? I need to save at the smallest settings so that is not changeable. 

• 17. Re: put a image from web on indesign with quality problem....

Smallest file size downsamples all your images to 72 ppi and uses heavy comprsession to reduce file size. Basically you have to make tradeoffs someplace when you want to reduce the size of the PDF. If you want better quality, use the Press Quality, High Quality Print, or PDF/X-4 presets, but your file size will be MUCH larger.

It may help to do a Save As on the .indd to remove old change info before exporting.

• 18. Re: put a image from web on indesign with quality problem....
                                            BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Actually, smallest file size downsamples any image over 150 down to 100. Going to down to 72 for anything over 72 would definitely shrink the file size up at the expense, of course, of quality.

Bob