9 Replies Latest reply: Mar 1, 2012 11:10 AM by J. Simon RSS

Error decompressing video or audio on certain machines

I'm having an issue where a cetrain type of workstation is not allowing uers to import .mpg files into a premiere pro project. When trying to import a file, it comes up with the "ERROR DECOMPRESSING VIDEO OR AUDIO". The machines with this issue are HP XW4600s running 64 bit WIN7 enterprise.

These machines were running cs5.0 with no issues. It was when they were upgraded to 5.5 that the issue started occuring. The other 64 bit machines running cs5.5 do not have this issue either. If I roll them back to cs5.0, then they don't have any problems. I've done a full removal of all adobe products from them (using that adobe cleaning tool) as well as reimaging the machines completely with new drivers and still no luck. I've also fully updated all adobe applications. I can't seem to find a fix. The only thing I can think of is that because it is specific to one type of workstation, that it must be a driver issue however I've updated both the nvidia quadro driver and the realtek sound drivers and those are the only ones I can think of that would be causing issues.

I've had a look through the forums when I first noticed this issue, I couldn't find too much about it other than it may be an issue with licensing, as the trial version of the adobe programmes doesn't support .mpg compression (some codec issues apparently). Adobe is however fully licensed so I don't think it could be an issue with it thinking it is only the trial version.

Can anyone give me any ideas on how to go about fixing this issue? I really don't want to have to roll them back to cs5.0 if I don't have to (though just to make sure, are there issues opening a cs5.5 project file in a cs5.0 app e.g. premiere pro?)