5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 22, 2012 11:30 AM by able123

"Windows could not start this screen saver"

illucine Level 1

My timeline playback gets interrupted by Windows' dummy screen saver consisting of a blank screen with the message "Windows could not start this screen saver".  I'm running Premiere CS 5.5 on Windows 7.  I only see this message while Premiere is running so Premiere must be doing something that blocks the current screen saver but doesn't block Windows from attempting to start it.  Is there a way to keep Windows from attempting to start the screen saver at all (other than selecting no screen saver in Windows) so it doesn't interrupt playback?

Roy

• 2. Re: "Windows could not start this screen saver"
          the_wine_snob Level 9

I would recommend turning OFF all Screen Savers, and Power Management tools, when editing video.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: "Windows could not start this screen saver"
            illucine Level 1

Thanks Bill.  I can certainly do that.  Too bad this doesn't work automatically so I don't have to change my configuration (screen savers and power management tools) every time I go into or out of Premiere.  It seems strange that Premiere (or perhaps it's the NVIDIA driver?) is "partially" blocking the sreen saver so that Windows attempts to start the screen saver but can't.  When I quit Premiere the screen saver works ok.  I thought it might be a bug in Premiere.

Roy

• 4. Re: "Windows could not start this screen saver"
              the_wine_snob Level 9

I would speculate that some part of the player needed for that particular Screen Saver (and probably more, that are animated), get hooked, as PrPro needs them. That is probably why you get a blank screen, when the Screen Saver tries to launch, while PrPro is open.

If you feel the need to have a Screen Saver active, you should be able to choose one that is static, rather than animated.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: "Windows could not start this screen saver"
                Level 4

years ago screen savers helped keep crt monitors from getting 'burned in' areas of dead pixels etc from the screen being on a static image for too long. over the years this problem has been almost totally eliminated by monitor manufacturers i think.

i know people who worked in pro graphic houses that never turned off their computers, never used screen savers, and never did power management stuff ... the computers were on 24/7... and they never had problems.. and that was like more than 10 years ago.

i do have a nice snake screen saver that is static and / or animated if you want to try it out, but frankly, i would turn all that stuff off ( power management, screen saver ) and either leave your computer on all the time 24/7, or else just turn it off when you leave the computer... turn it back on when you want to use it.  is only a button on tower to turn on and off usually.. easy.

let me know if you want snakes though... they are very cool and scary !