5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 22, 2012 10:41 AM by Learning4Ever..

Using InDesign for large bids?

Learning4Ever..

What is your experience with using InDesign for large bids? 

One of my concerns with starting to use InDesign for large bids are the short time frames to assembly the bids and it needs to be done in-house.

What is your experience using InDesign for large bids?  What are the pros and cons?

And how long does it take [approx.] to learn InDesign proficiently to handle large bids?

Many thanks for your help and time!

• 1. Re: Using InDesign for large bids?
          Eugene Tyson Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Large bids?

Well I use InDesign for tiny thank you cards, to business cards, to comp slips, to letterheads, to pamphlets and brochures, to weirdly folded and cut, to die cut, to posters, to banner stands, to wrap around stands, to billboards.

I use it for publications of 1 pages, 2 pages, 4 pages, 6 pages, 8 pages, 10 pages, 12 pages, 16 pages, 20 pages, 24 pages, etc. all the way up to 3,200 pages.

I don't know what a Large Bid is. But I use InDesign for every job I have going to print or to be published on the web.

And I work primarily on very very very short time frames and very unrealistic deadlines that I somehow make realisitic.

I don't do much assembly here in the office, the odd time for 4 page brochures will be folded.

InDesign, like any tool, is only as good as the craftsman using it.

• 2. Re: Using InDesign for large bids?
            BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

I’ll admit I have no idea what you’re talking about.

What’s a large bid?

Bob

• 3. Re: Using InDesign for large bids?
              [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

It's just like a small bid, only just a bit larger.

• 4. Re: Using InDesign for large bids?
                mpc999 Level 2

I do this for an engineering company. Large dollar bids and large page counts. The theory was that, as a designer, I could produce more pleasing and professional looking bid documents. However, in our business, the bid contents come from many people in many departments, they always come at the last minute, and then they make more changes after you've printed and assembled the document. So we had to give up the theory and return to Word, which everybody has on their computers. There was never enough design time for me to consolidate the inputs and work in InDesign. And, in the end, bid evaluators are inundated with paper from multiple bidders and don't care about nicely designed material. They just want to pull the numbers. We continue to win bids with our Word documents.

If you have enough time, it's more satisfying to work in InDesign. However, you don't want to start this until you have considerable InDesign experience. A new InDesign user up against a deadline is a recipe for disaster.

• 5. Re: Using InDesign for large bids?
                  Learning4Ever.. Level 1

Hi and thank you for your input. 

I should have been more clear what I meant with large bids - when you work with bids you sometimes forget that other people are not in the same business  :-)

(See mpc999 response for an explanation.)

mpc999 - thank you so much for your answer as it answered my questions.