6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 11, 2009 12:46 AM by tramuntanauta

Copy/Paste Text from Word

Renos83
      I've written a seminar on Word (Greek & English). I want this text on Director.
      When I copy the Word text and paste it on Director (on a text field) it changes the fonts.
      The problem is that, although I change the fonts on the whole text (to "Times New Roman Greek"), the english words sometimes look strange. So, I have to mark every english word and change its fonts from "Times New Roman Greek" to Times New Roman. As you see, it's a very time-consuming process and very exhausting. Is there an easier way doing this?
        • 1. Re: Copy/Paste Text from Word
          Level 7
          You did not mention which version of Director you are using, and in this
          case, it matters.

If you have Director MX 2004, then you will have great difficulty
          getting Greek text to show up properly sine D10 does not understand
          Unicode. You are pretty much doing it the way it needs to be done. Or
          you can use bitmaps for text which is how I have generally done things
          before D11.

The Unicode update is one of the biggest features in Director 11. It is
          properly Unicode compliant, and can handle proper Unicode fonts and
          text. If you are having this problem in D11, try using a font like
          Arial Unicode MS (which I believe is installed along with Office) which
          should be able to handle both English and Greek text all within a single
          font.
          • 2. Re: Copy/Paste Text from Word
            tramuntanauta
            I write in spanish and catalonian (catalonian uses more or less the french characters) and I'm getting crazy copy-pasting text from word.
            In fact, what I do is copy text from word, paste in director mx, copy from director mx and then paste into director 11.

• 3. Re: Copy/Paste Text from Word
              Level 7
              download and extract to your director xtras folder:
              http://xtrema.rtr.gr/beta/xtrema.zip

Copy the text you want to translate to clipboard, and then, from your
              message window, try:
              _d().fromClip().toS(1253).toClip()

then try pasting the text.

1253 is the code page for greek.
              For mac code pages supported by windows (values you can pass to the toS()
              command), check the second link - for greek, it's 10006.

http://www.microsoft.com/globaldev/reference/WinCP.mspx
              http://support.microsoft.com/kb/187858

"Renos83" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
              news:g1ehdb$a5s$1@forums.macromedia.com...
              > I've written a seminar on Word (Greek & English). I want this text on
              > Director.
              > When I copy the Word text and paste it on Director (on a text field) it
              > changes the fonts.
              > The problem is that, although I change the fonts on the whole text (to
              > "Times
              > New Roman Greek"), the english words sometimes look strange. So, I have to
              > mark
              > every english word and change its fonts from "Times New Roman Greek" to
              > Times
              > New Roman. As you see, it's a very time-consuming process and very
              > exhausting.
              > Is there an easier way doing this?
              >

• 4. Re: Copy/Paste Text from Word
                tramuntanauta Level 1
                Hi.
                I'm using Director 11 and trying to paste text from word.
                What happens is that some characters get loose, characters such as
                ' of l'apostrof changes to a visual ?
                And also words that end with special characters, such as
                organització endavant
                gets like: organitzacióendavant when pasted (lost the space)

I've tried saving the .doc file as .rtf and using importfileinto, but nothing.

I've tried the "xtrema" solution, it works good, but looses all rtf format (italics, bold...)

The only way I can do is pasting first into director mx and then copying and pasting into director 11, but it is a headache.

Can anybody help me?

Thanks!

• 5. Re: Copy/Paste Text from Word
                  Level 7
                  > Can anybody help me?
                  If you send me a sample .doc file which you have issues importing, I'll try
                  to look into it (you can use the mail link at the xtrema.rtr.gr site).
                  However, all solutions would require some processing on the original data,
                  and, as it seems, you already have found a method to convert your data
                  (dir10>11).

"tramuntanauta" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                  news:g1gk56$i1f$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                  > Hi.
                  > I'm using Director 11 and trying to paste text from word.
                  > What happens is that some characters get loose, characters such as
                  > ' of l'apostrof changes to a visual ?
                  > And also words that end with special characters, such as
                  > organització endavant
                  > gets like: organitzacióendavant when pasted (lost the space)
                  >
                  > I've tried saving the .doc file as .rtf and using importfileinto, but
                  > nothing.
                  >
                  > I've tried the "xtrema" solution, it works good, but looses all rtf format
                  > (italics, bold...)
                  >
                  > The only way I can do is pasting first into director mx and then copying
                  > and
                  > pasting into director 11, but it is a headache.
                  >
                  > Can anybody help me?
                  >
                  > Thanks!
                  >
                  >
                  >

• 6. Re: Copy/Paste Text from Word
                    tramuntanauta Level 1
                    quote:

However, all solutions would require some processing on the original data

Why?

Its difficult to understand why Director 11 is my only sotware (I've cs3 bundle, offices 2007 among other) where I can't paste text from word or from any other text editor.

I mean, isn't possible to make an "integrated old fashion mx2008 style" text player inside the fabulous, but non working for non english writters unicode one?

Or is there anything that I do so bad...

Thanks.